Ch. 5: Growing Curiosity

Just letting you all know that this one's gonna be a long one. There wasn't a place where I could split it into two parts, so enjoy this mega flashback chapter!

"Hey! Hey, Siyeon! Snap out of it!" Siyeon was so into her thoughts that she didn't register her friend, Gahyeon, calling for her until her voice hurt her eardrums.

"What?!" Siyeon touched her ear in pain. "You don't have to be so loud!"

"You weren't answering!"

The librarian walked by and shushed the two before continuing to place the returned books back in their places. "Sorry." Both of the girls whispered before returning to their conversation.

"What's going on?" Gahyeon asked.

"Sorry, I was just thinking."

"That would explain the glazed look on your face," Dami, another one of Siyeon's friends, added. "Is this about the human realm again? Is that what this entire stack of books is about?"

"Maybe, but aren't you the least bit curious?" Siyeon asked the two other angels.

"Of course, but it just stops at curiosity for me. I know what this is actually about, though. You want to go to Earth, don't you?"

"Well, Don't you?"

"I'm perfectly fine here."

"But don't you want to know more about the humans you watch?"

"I have all I need here." Dami pulls out her mirror that is provided to every Overseer. This magical device would open a window to the human realm for them to observe. All three of them received this device when they were chosen for this position.

"But how is that gonna show what humans are really like? Don't you want to test if there's more to humans than what meets the eye?"

"You're scheming, aren't you?"

"I have no idea what you mean," Siyeon said unconvincingly.

Dami sighed. "Just don't do anything that will get you or all three of us in trouble."

"Face it, Dami. When Siyeon schemes, she follows through with it. I wouldn't be surprised if she finds a way to get in trouble. She always does." Siyeon playfully narrows her eyes at Gahyeon.

Siyeon didn't bring this topic up with anyone else. She knew these two for as long as she could remember. Out of everyone in the realm, Dami and Gahyeon would be the ones she'd feel the most comfortable talking to. With them, she could be herself. If she were to talk about this to anyone outside their circle, she would be considered weird in their eyes.  While it's not forbidden, the citizens of the realm were highly encouraged not to travel between realms. Well, at least for those whose job doesn't require it. Most jobs there could be done in the safety of their own realm. Why go to a different one when you've got everything you need right here? But the thing is, Siyeon doesn't have everything she needs. She needs more answers and the only place to get that is on Earth. Sadly, the best she can do is look through the books this vast library has. It's her only way to get closer to humans, no matter how shallow the information was. She wanted to know if what she has been taught growing up was true or if there was more to humankind that can't just be observed.

"It's not like I would actually do anything."

The other two looked at Siyeon doubtfully. "Uh-huh, sure," Dami said sarcastically.

"I'm not! I promise."

"You kind of tend to break those."

"Only when there's no other option. But seriously, you don't have to worry about me. Plus, I don't have any way of getting there. Only the Guild knows how to get there." Siyeon had a doubt that that last part is true. The Guild is the only job that requires Earthly visits.  They would have to travel there constantly to make sure demons didn't get out of line. They didn't work the same way the Overseers do. They don't make the same judgments that angels like Siyeon would make. In a way, they are similar to Overseers. They want to protect humans. It's just that they don't deal with humans personally.  Still, it was likely that there were those who were just as curious as her. Those who want to help humans one-on-one rather than just watching them. Maybe they found a way there. "If you do know, don't forget to tell me." Siyeon joked.