Ch. 10: Changes

Handong was filling in the inventory on her shelves. It was a bit time consuming and annoying at times, but she always made sure she got it done as soon as possible. She doesn't want anything to distract her except for customers and an update on the Siyeon and Sua situation. Unlike the times before, she wasn't as focused on the task as she usually is.

When Sua called her the first time, she recalled the same panic that she herself had felt those years ago. She wants to be there for Sua unlike how Handong had no one. She's been eyeballing her phone as she's putting more items in stock. Because she's been focused on these couple things, she didn't notice the bell dinging at the door.

What brought her attention to this customer was the knock on the shelf. Without looking up she spoke to them. "Oh, I'm sorry. Give me a second. Let me just get the last of this and I'll be with you in a moment."

"Don't worry, it's fine. I've got time to kill."

Hearing the familiar voice, Handong sprung up and turned around in disbelief. "Siyeon?" Her eyes didn't deceive her. Siyeon was standing there lightly leaning on the shelf that Handong was stacking. "Siyeon! You're awake!" Handong didn't hesitate and gave her a much-needed hug. "I'm so glad to see you."

"I'm happy to see you too."

They hugged for a bit longer before Handong pulled away and smacked Siyeon on the arm.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Why didn't you call me when you woke up? You had me worried sick! How long has it been?"

"Sorry, I just wanted to surprise you. I just woke up not that long ago."

"Why didn't Sua call me? She would when news like this happens. Did you put her up to this plan too?"

"Actually, something else came up."

"Something that was bigger than this?"

"She didn't tell you, did she?"

"Tell me what? Now you got me worried all over again."

"It's nothing like that. I don't think I'm the right person to tell you this anyway." Siyeon didn't want to think about it. Everytime, there was this pang in her heart. She tried her best to not let it show on her face.

Unfortunately for her, Handong was an observent one. "Are you sure? You seem pretty upset by it."

"No. I'm sure. It's not like lives are at risk. I'm fine really. Sua might be dying to tell you later anyways."

It seemed like Siyeon didn't want to tell her any further, so Handong left it at that. There was no need to push for more information, especially if it was something that made Siyeon so upset. They both would tell her in due time. "Alright, well feel free to browse like usual. I'll still be here stocking up.

"Thanks, Handong. It's kinda weird to have missed this place as much as I am, but I'm glad to be in here."

***

The walk back to the apartment was noticeably somber as Sua made her way there. Was it always like this or was this Sua taking in the darker details as she was still devastated with what happened moments ago. She needed something, anything, that could cheer her up. It didn't matter how small it was. She just needs something to distract her right there, right now. She was hoping Siyeon would be able to do something about it. With how considerate she's been, maybe she can help her take her mind off of it, even for a second.

But as she walked through the door of the apartment, the atmosphere seemed depressing. Something like this was odd in this place. For the short time she's been there, she could only associate it with positive moments. So, why was it so different now?