Chapter 11

A/N: Happy Summer Solstice Y'all

Just open the door, tell him now's not a good time, and close the door. Easy Peasy

I opened the door, ready to say my lines when I finally took a good look at him. His eyes had deep, dark bags under them. Scratches and bruises littered his body and he was barely supporting his weight. The darker spots on his shirt didn't have any ambiguity to it this time. It was blood. He was mid-knock before letting his arm drop heavily at his side.

"Hi." he said softly.

"W-What do you want?" I said, weakly trying to stick to my resolve.

"Company." He said. "Can I come in?"

He looked so injured. I sighed. I wrapped my arms around him to help him inside. My knees almost buckled under his weight. I grit my teeth and staggered the few steps beyond the door before kicking it shut behind me. His body sagged into the couch as I stood, catching my breath for a second. His head lolled back like he couldn't or didn't care to support its weight anymore. His slightly troubled expression as he lay with his eyes closed was the only indicator that he felt in pain. He peeked at me and pulled me roughly down on the couch. I settled stiffly beside him, trying to come up with an order to all the questions in my head. Then there was a weight on my shoulder. Toji sighed as he moved in close, settling his head in a comfortable position.

"This is nice." He sighed softly before closing his eyes.

After a few seconds, he was out like a light. I endured the weight for a few minutes before gently laying him on the couch. I checked him for any concerning injuries. Other than how painful these bruises and marks looked, it seems like he took care of the serious stuff. I put some covers on him and went to lay in my bed.

He wanted company...

I sighed and took out my air mattress, putting it beside the couch. Surprisingly he didn't even stir while it was inflating. Then I turned on the TV and watched until my eyes grew heavy.

Toji POV

This isn't my house. I squinted my eyes at the girl holding my hand to her chest. The neighbor I told my name to. Slowly, last night caught up to me. The air mattress squeaked as she moved around a bit before resettling. She put it right by the couch so she could stay close. I smiled. She'll commit to a favor, I'll give her that. I used my captured hand to rub my thumb over her cheek. Her eyebrows scrunched together as she readjusted herself again  before settling.

I walked out of a dark, unfamiliar bedroom into a sunny kitchen/ living room area. A barely dressed woman scurried around the kitchen as she debated what she'd cook. She paused before turning around, noticing me. Her posture turned insecure as she fiddled with the measuring cup in her hand.

"So I was thinking...since you bet dinner last night, I'll cook breakfast this morning. Since I had a good time?" She suggested with an anxious smile.

And the impulse to tell her who I was made sense all over again.

She likes food. I can manage that.

I got up carefully and rummaged through her kitchen to find rice and instant miso soup then pulled a fish out of the freezer. I looked around for pans and got to work getting her breakfast ready. The air mattress noisily accommodated her as she woke up, rubbing her eyes. She looked at me with suspicious bleary eyes before she shot straight up.

"You're injured!" She said as she threw the covers off of herself.

"Stay." I grunted as I moved around the fish in the pan.

"But-"

"Stay." I said, giving her a look.

She pouted sitting uncomfortably on the air mattress and I smiled before turning back to breakfast. I pulled out the dishes and placed them in front of her before sitting down. She looked at her breakfast then at me.

"What about you?"

"I'll eat in a bit."

She frowned.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I cooked breakfast because my neighbor let me spend the night." I answered.

"You know that's not what I mean."

"But it answers the question."

She huffed, taking her chopsticks and starting on her food. I put my head in my hand as I watched her eat. The morning sunlight hit her skin and she glowed. Even with the bleary eyes and stubborn pout, I felt drawn to her. She stopped chewing, her eyebrows pulling together as she looked at me.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asked with suspicious eyes.

"Yup."

Her pout deepened and she resigned herself to breakfast. I kept fighting a smile as I watched her. When she finished, I picked up the dishes and put them in the sink. I purposely washed the dishes slowly just to see her squirm. Then I put them on the rack. She hovered over me the whole time, looking like she wanted to say something but knew it wouldn't work. When I finished the dishes her pout turned into a full frown, her eyes downcast. I walked over to her and put my hand under her chin.

"I'm fine." I said as I kissed her forehead.

Her eyes widened.

"Thanks." I said before I walked out of her apartment.

Y/N POV

I stood there for a long minute before rushing to his door and knocking loudly. He answered, irritated before he saw me. His irritation lessened as he waited.

"You wanna stay...longer..?" I asked weakly.

He tilted his head to the side, a slight smile on his lips.

"You want something specific?"

"Depends...do you...did Gojo put you up to coming to my door?" I asked.

"Who's Gojo?" He asked.

He seemed genuinely confused.

"You met him the other weekend. He has white hair...annoying. And tall." I said.

Toji stared at me until a lightbulb went off.

"The talkative guy. No. he didn't."

He seemed to be telling the truth. Plus, I don't think alot of people can convince Toji to do something he didn't want to do anyway.

"Then...wanna watch a show or something? I don't wanna fuck or anything I just don't wanna be alone right now."

Toji looked at me for a long moment then closed the door behind him. He walked past me into my apartment. I followed, closing the door and settling beside him on the couch. I flicked to a thriller I was watching and settled in. There was an awkward tension between us and regret started to seep in. Then a hand gently guided my head until I was leaning on his shoulders. I looked up just as Toji resettled his arm behind me, relaxing on the couch. I looked back at the TV, my body slowly settling down to relax. He was warm.

This...was nice.