Chapter 21

A/N: Hey y'all I'm sorry for the sudden break! I realized I was a little (maybe a lot) burned out and I needed some time to rest and write the story. Thank you so much for your patience and a super special thank you to those who reached out. Words can't describe how much it meant to me.

This was my first time waking up to see him in the morning light. He wasn't chilling on my couch. There wasn't a text about him coming back later. He was right here, in my bed, sleeping. As if sensing me looking at him, his eyes fluttered open. He inched forward and smiled. Then he tucked my head under his chin, lazily running his hands up and down my back. I didn't know how to react.

He's actually here...

"Good morning." He said softly, his voice still scratchy from sleep.

I nodded before getting up and going to the bathroom. Satoru also got up, heading towards the kitchen area. I went back into the bedroom and lay down for a bit since I wasn't ready to get up for the day. Surprisingly, seeing the bed empty felt almost comforting. That was normal. The muted sound of Satoru milling about in the kitchen floated beyond the closed door. That...that's something that never happened before.

"I...I wanted you to stay."

Now that he is...

I walked over to the door and peeked out. The smell of food wafting from the kitchen. I've obviously seen Satoru in the daylight before but...this was...so domestic. His hair was still all over the place, cowlicks everywhere. His pajamas were surprisingly understated and simple, given how extra the guy is. He squinted between his phone and the food over and over.

"I don't know if this is right..." He mumbled to himself, scrolling up on the phone.

He picked up a piece of the fish and tasted it.

"It tastes fine to me..." He said suspiciously. "But not nearly as good as she's saying. Either I'm doing it wrong or she's overexaggerating her recipe."

A small smile went on my face before it dropped. I couldn't bring myself to approach this just yet. I couldn't figure out how I felt about it. His phone buzzed.

"Hey, Shoko."

"Satoru. I-Are you cooking?"

"Yup."

She paused.

"I didn't know you knew how to do that." She said finally.

"That hurts my feelings."

"You don't have feelings."

"Okay, now I'm actually hurt."

"Yea sure." She dismissed him. "Any way that girl is officially in the clear. The curse no longer hangs around her workplace and seems to have moved on to other victims, which we will be calling you to take care of. And everyone who's been in contact and became infected by the curse started showing symptoms by now so she's clear on that end as well. No one else came in contact right?"

"No."

"Then we're all good."

Satoru stayed silent.

"Not happy you can keep her locked up anymore?"

"I'm happy she's safe."

"You dodged the question."

"...She said she wanted me to stay."

The other end was silent for a few moments.

"You actually lost it, haven't you?"

"You're pissing me off." he grumbled.

"Anyway, concerning the other girl. She's going to be frail and weak for a long time. But if she makes sure to be very strict about building up her strength. She'll be back to normal in a year or so."