Chapter 17

A/N: I just realized I've been writing fanfic for a year now! What would you call it..? My Fanficaversary? FicBirthday?? My first step to never seeing the pearly gates? I'll find a word for it. Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

Suguru seemed....enthusiastic that we were on speaking terms again. I was okay with getting back on friendly terms but he seemed to be around twenty-four-seven. Initially, I was really glad he was hanging around. The incident at the club shook me a bit but now I was wondering what his motive was? And, of course, anytime I tried to find out he just danced around the issue.

Anytime I got off work, he was right there ready to hang out. Sometimes he'd flirt, sometimes we'd talk a little about what's on our minds. He's shown me a lot of cool hidden gems. However, he's been hanging around so much that I was getting socially exhausted. Today at the cafe we tried out, I physically felt my social meter dip into the negatives. I waved goodbye to him and headed upstairs to my apartment, glancing at Toji's door before I went in. Still haven't seen him since everything went down.

Gojo's also been oddly quiet given what happened last time. Not to brag about getting me to cave or to seethe about Toji again. He never shuts up about anything so the silence was throwing me off. Part of me wants to ask if he paid everyone there to not say anything about the dressing room incident. Was he exclusively charged for the incident and doing time or something?

"I should just enjoy the peace while I have it." I sighed to myself as I took off my shoes.

I put my purse on the counter and flopped onto the couch. I relaxed into it for a bit before heading to my room to change. Lately, I've been feeling watched. While I was pretty sure this was just leftover weirdness from the club thing, my bedroom with no uncovered windows made me feel safe. Aoi and Yuriko were blowing up the chat with potential plans for the weekend and I was pre-exhausted just hearing what they wanted to do.

My phone dinged. Getou texted me saying he won't be available tomorrow for lunch. I texted him back that's fine and put down my phone. Honestly, I was glad for the break. In fact, I might just hang out on the stairwell so I can be completely isolated. I played some calming puzzle games for a while and passed out. The next day, I just opted to keep to myself and interact as little as possible.

Unfortunately, Yuriko's a talker

"I'm telling you, he definitely has a crush. He's been hanging on to you like white on rice."

"I don't think that's it."

"Sometimes guys act totally different when they like someone versus when they're just trying to hook up."

"Maybe."

Akko walked in at that moment. She's been late a lot lately and looked extremely tired. She didn't bother with any pleasantries and we've all learned that she really doesn't have the energy to. She even went barefaced today which was unusual. When she sat down, she stared at the screen like she really didn't want to turn it on. Our boss walked in and cleared his throat.

"We are going to do fire drills today. So save your work and be prepared to hear the alarms in a few minutes."

"I was gonna be in the zone too. Guess that's lost." Yuriko sighed.

Within a few minutes, the alarms blared out. We all filed out of the building according to our evacuation plan and waited for the alarms to stop. Akko wasn't doing well.  She was breathing hard and sweating. She avoided my eyes. Everyone glanced at her but didn't try to reach out. At this point, people were theorizing that she had a terrible illness she was working through. Honestly, I was starting to think the same. As people started to head inside, Akko snuck off to the side of the building. My mouth pulled further into a frown as I moved to follow her. Yuriko gave me a look.

"She's just gonna snap at you."

"She definitely needs help though."

Yuriko looked to where Akko disappeared.

"If she doesn't say anything to you, tag me in. I'm starting to get concerned."

"Will do."

I walked over to where she disappeared and caught her just as she ducked into a relatively quiet nook. She stumbled a few steps and then dropped to the ground puking her guts out. I rushed over to her.

"Akko are you okay?"

She glanced at me surprised before gagging some more. When some of the bile traveled into the light, it was pure black. Her body trembled as she breathed heavily.

"A-"

"Shut up!" She yelled.

I flinched. She didn't turn towards me or anything though. She scooted away from the puddle of bile and clutched her head. Her tone started to sound desperate.

"Shut up shut up shut up SHUT UP."

"Akko-"

"You have to leave." She said as she struggled to face me. "Now."

"Akko, I really think we should take you to the hospital."

"Go away." She whispered with tears in her eyes. "Please."

"I swear I won't tell anyone anything just let me take you to the hosp-"

The black bile solidified. She weakly tried to shuffle back while pulling my leg. It multiplied very quickly and I swore I saw a sneer etched into it for a split second before it quickly crawled toward us and swallowed us whole.

When the bile cleared we were in a completely different place I couldn't recognize. We were surrounded by an endless forest. The black bile was nowhere to be seen. However, there were mushrooms everywhere. Some of them glowed, and some of them looked duller than the others. Whispers of thoughts echoed through the forest as if to replace the birds that were supposed to be here. In the middle of this space was a giant mushroom.

The giant mushroom ahead of us twitched, then shook violently, and then finally stood. A large creature, so covered in mushrooms you could barely make out its form. Floating out of its mouth were little white particles. Akko fisted my shirt and put it over my mouth and nose. Her hand was shaking with effort. I held my shirt up, trying to look for a way out of here away from that thing. Akko spat out some more black bile before her eyes focused on the creature in front of us. It made an unsettling noise. Akko gritted her teeth.

"Akko...what is that?" I said, my body trembling.

"The thing in my head. If you're gonna ask any more questions the answer is I don't know." She said before going into another coughing fit.

The creature tittered and moved slowly to us. I stepped back, ready to run. Akko made no moves as if she was giving up. I pulled on her arm and she continued to be dead weight instead of helping me get us outta here. I was about to yell when she turned towards me.

"I was indifferent towards you, you know. I really was."

"Akko we seriously don't have-

"I know. But I have to say it before I die."

"Not if we run so help me help you c'mon!"

"I never hated you. Not once. I was annoyed but I never ever hated you." Akko said, ripping her arm away.

I went back to grab her and she got up real quick and shoved me as hard as she could. I stumbled back several steps before falling. She crumpled to the ground with no strength left in her body. Her eyes started getting hazy as she succumbed to her fatigue. Her unfocused eyes looked at me one last time as the monster closed in on her.

"I'm sorry."