Chapter 9: a competition

The new school year started. Jena and I were now both sixteen, and I was a well-built young man. Jena had developed a small bust already, but it probably wasn't going to get much bigger at this stage because she was very fit and carrying very little body fat.

Mrs Reinke suggested that we enter a competition that was to be held in two months time. "Now don't expect to win, but it will be a good experience for you and help your development."

Jen and I looked at each other and nodded with "why nots"

I had a 'problem'. Mum wanted to watch me dancing and to meet my dance partner.

Er, right.

I managed to put her off for a little while, but then she came along to one of our practice sessions. I was a bit nervous about it, but it was okay.

"I'm no expert, but you two looked pretty good to me," Mum commented later, "And your partner, what a lovely girl she is. She trusts you completely, doesn't she?"

"She has to, Mum, otherwise it doesn't work. And yeah, she is a nice girl."

My mother raised an eyebrow at me.

"We're just dance partners, Mum. That's all. And you know that Diana's my girlfriend."

I didn't say that Diana would probably last no longer than my previous girlfriends before she gave me the boot because of my 'neglect'. What with all sports training and now my dancing, I simply didn't have enough time left over to keep a girlfriend happy.

My parents had heard about the transgender girl at school of course, they could hardly fail not to. My father's response was predictable.

"Sounds like weird stuff to me. Doesn't make sense."

Mum was more interested and interrogated me a bit about it. I answered rather vaguely, not giving much away.

But as the comp date got closer, I felt that I was being devious, and that wasn't my style at all. "Do it," I said to myself, "just do it."