Chapter 20: another spat?

I had reconnected with Rich and my other old mates, but I was socialising very little - I just didn't have the time.

As we continued our intense practice, Jena and I were getting on fine in the dance studio because our entire focus was on the dancing, but outside of it, she kept away from me. I presumed that she was still going out with Stefan. Fair enough, it was her life. Yet, somehow . . . somehow, it didn't sit well with me; and that smoking shit, I wasn't happy with that.

We went to the auditions and got through comfortably. We were granted entry into the Festival Dance Event. It was only three weeks away.

A couple of days after the auditions, I found Jena waiting for me as I left the studio. She was leaning with her back against the wall, smoking. She glared at me.

"And it makes me look more grown up," she snapped.

I knew she meant the smoking, and I thought 'so what is this, we're spoiling for another fight, are we?'. But I was determined to keep myself under control and couldn't help feeling some amusement, because it all seemed a bit 'put on' to me.

Jena dropped the cigarette and ground it out. We walked off together.

"Why did you break up with Sapphire?"

"We realised that we weren't right for each other."

"She was beautiful and rich, and she started making eyes at you from the day she turned up at the classes."

"Still, if you don't fit together . . . we had some good times . . ."

". . . and sex!"

"Of course," I was trying not to be provoked.

"Will there be a reconciliation?"

"No. Not going to happen."

Walking along in a tense silence, then, "Have you noticed anything different about me, physically I mean, when we're dancing?"

I had, of course I had, but had decided it was best not to say anything.

"Well?" she demanded.

"Okay," I smiled, trying to keep it light, "It seems that you have had your gender reassignment surgery. I hope it went well for you, Jen."

"Don't call me that. I prefer people to call me Jena."

"Your Dad calls you Jen."

"He's allowed."

"And so am I," I said in a tone that concluded the matter.

She snorted without responding further.

As we continued to walk slowly, the silence was broken by Jena.

"It did go well. I'm now as complete a girl as I can be."

"I'm glad for you, Jen. You must be happy about it."

"I am," she paused and then snarled, "and I have sex too. Stefan and I sleep together."

"Okay, Jen. I hope that's good too." I was trying to stay calm, but I could sense the strain creeping into my voice.

Another snort, "Ha!" this time, and then she turned her head away and murmured something - it could have been 'or used to'. Oh, what? A fight with the boyfriend . . .?

We had reached our turnoffs and were standing there having this argument or whatever it was. I was still wondering what the hell was going on. I wasn't sure whether to start snapping back at her or start laughing at her and telling her to stop behaving like a silly little bitch.

"Mum and Dad want to see you," she announced curtly.

"Great, I'd love to see them," I responded, "Come on, let's go right now."

I grabbed her hand and started pulling her down her street. She stumbled along behind me, dragging her feet.

"When I told them that were were dancing together again, they went all fucking gaga - 'Oh, that's wonderful, Jena', 'You two are so good together', wank, wank, wank."

I laughed and turned my head to grin at her, "My folks were pretty chuffed also, even Dad."

"Your Dad???"

"Yep."

"Oh."