Chapter 24: bearding the lion . . .

As expected, Jena's folks had accepted us instantly and with great delight. The challenge, of course, would be my father. I was sure Mum would be okay.

I tried to prepare us as we walked around to my place the next morning.

"Jen, I reckon the old man is mellowing a fair bit. As I told you, he was pleased to hear that we were back dancing together. I suppose, us getting married is an altogether different matter, but . . ."

"Oh, don't worry, darling," Jena replied gaily, "We'll handle it, we'll be right."

I laughed, "The last time I saw you like this was when you got your transition started."

Jena grinned, "Gosh, I was excited, wasn't I? And you're right, I feel the same."

We began to run, holding hands and laughing.

Well, here we were. Big breath, "Mum, Dad . . . Jena and I are in love. We are getting engaged."

Mum's face lit up and she rushed over to us cooing and hugging. Then the three of us looked anxiously at my father. He was standing there very upright - he's a big man, bigger than me - but he didn't look angry or disapproving, just stiff and uncertain.

We went over. I don't know what it was, maybe female intuition or something, but what happened next was quite astonishing.

"Dad, we really are in love. I hope that . . ."

Jena interrupted me. She tilted her head to one side and observed, "You're just like a big cuddly bear. When Garth and I get married I'm going to call you Papa Bear."

"PAPA BEAR," he exploded.

"Yes, big Papa Bear, (and with a nod at Mum) lovely Mama Bear (then me) and wonderful Baby Bear." She was giving him her full smile.

"PAPA BEAR," Dad repeated in a shout.

For a few seconds there was silence, then with a comic grimace, Mum said, "It does kinda of suit you, dear."

"WHAT???" he bellowed.

"Can I have a big bear hug please, Papa Bear?" Jena asked sweetly.

"Go on, give her a hug, Papa Bear," Mum urged smiling.

"Stop that," Dad glared at her. "And don't you start either," he growled as he shifted his glare to me. Then with a snort and a huff, "It's bad enough that I'm going to have to put up with it from Goldilocks here, without you two trying to get in on the act."

Dad was still standing stiffly, but an amused twist was forming on his mouth as his eyes flickered between the three of us. Mum and I were now grinning broadly while Jena was gazing at him with an appealingly expression.

Then humph. "Come here, Goldie," he ordered sharply and put his arms around her and gave her a big bear hug, "Congratulations, my dear, congratulations."

In one stroke, my beautiful little Jena had conquered Mount Everest.