Chapter 25: and it went like this

Things started happening very quickly.

Jena and I won the Festival Dance Event. We put in a flawless performance: bright, lively and full of joy. A national dance company invited us to try out for them. A month later we were offered contracts.

The director introduced us to the rest of the company with: "This young lady is a transgender girl, but most importantly, she is a dancer, and we love dancers." We were welcomed with open arms into the company.

Work, work, work; rehearse, rehearse; perform, perform. Of course, Jena's job and my studies went by the board. We were now full-time professional dancers, and loving it.

Somehow we found the time to get married. We originally envisaged a small informal affair. Well, we nearly hung onto the informal bit, but small, no way.

Old friends, new friends, relatives, fellow dancers, whoever; it was a blast. However, one thing stood out for me on our wedding day. Rich, my best man, and I were standing up the front of the church watching Jena glide towards us on the arm of her father.

Her wedding gown, her hair and make-up were relatively simple, but she looked absolutely stunning.

"Who could ever have imagined," Rich murmured to me, "that the nerdy kid from school could have transformed into this gorgeous chick and be about to marry my best mate. You've done very well for yourself, fellah."

"I have," I acknowledged earnestly, "I have, indeed."

Over the next few years, we continued to be very busy, but we went home whenever we could for short visits.

Our dance company was about to go on an extended tour with a new show. We were allowed a brief break before we left. Jena and I took the opportunity to visit home - a few days with her folks then a few with mine.

Papa Bear (yelling): "Goldie, what the hell have you done to my gardening hat?"

Goldilocks (sweetly): "It was so dirty, Papa Bear, so I washed it for you."

Papa Bear: "And wrote on it . . ."

Goldilocks: ". . . your name, Papa Bear, so that you'd know that it was yours."

Papa Bear: "Goldie, one of these days, girl, one of these days . . . (grumble) . . . gardening hats are supposed to be dirty . . . (mutter, mutter) . . . I'm going out to mow the lawn."

Mama Bear: "Oh, Jena, you do tease him so, sweetheart."

Baby Bear: "He loves it, Mum,"

Goldilocks (giggling): "Don't worry. In a little while, I'll take him out a nice cold drink and tell him how terribly sorry I am. He'll become all concerned that I'm upset and it'll be, 'It's alright, Goldie, it's alright. I'm actually glad you washed it for me, I am. Thank you, my dear, thank you'."