Chapter 17 - Michelle

Wyld Times, Episode 64

Three figures in bright blue snow suits trudge across the white Arctic tundra. Above them, the sky is almost the same shade of blue. Michelle's cheeks are rosy as she speaks to the camera. "We're here, at the very top of the world, to meet a super special mum and her babies – one of the last of her kind in the wild."

"Over there!" says Kylie in a hushed whisper, pointing across the ice to a sharp incline. About halfway up the slope, a magnificent white bear ambles out from a small opening – and two tiny cubs swiftly tumble after her. Their playful growls echo across the distance.

"Ursus Maritimus," says Bruce knowingly. "The polar bear is the largest land carnivore in the world. With a top speed of 40ks an hour, 42 razor sharp teeth and 30cm wide paws, these masters of the ice can easily chase down humans, smash them with their claws and rip them to pieces! They can smell their prey up to a kilometre away – lucky we're downwind, or they'd probably smell something fishy coming from our direction!" He sniffs Michelle in an exaggerated manner, then cackles with laughter.

Michelle speaks to Kylie. "Hey, Kyls! Guess what colour a polar bear is?"

"Uh... white? Duh!" says Kylie, her pre-teen face crinkled with sass.

"They might look white – but their fur is actually translucent. The way it reflects the light makes it look white. And their skin is black!"

"Black and clear bears? No way!"

"I can prove it," says Bruce, winking at his little sister. "There's a clump of fur caught on the bushes near their den – I'll go grab it for you."

"Bruce, no," says Michelle, her pink cheeks blanching with fear. "We have to keep a safe distance."

"It'll only take me a minute," he says, pulling away and sneaking off in the direction of the bears.

"Bru!" whispers Kylie, terror across her face.

The camera zooms in on Kylie and Michelle, staring after Bruce in open fear. Michelle hugs Kylie, saying, "He'll be okay, sweetheart, I promise."

Bruce has almost reached the slope. He grins at the camera, giving double thumbs up before reaching to grab a tuft of hair from the twiggy shrub just below the den. The bears don't see him; the little ones are playing happily while their mother watches. Bruce appears to have gotten away with his stunt.

Almost. As he turns to leave, his foot sinks into a crack in the ice and he pitches forward onto his hands. He twists his body, pulling at his leg. "Oh no!" squeaks Kylie. "I think he's stuck! Bru! No!"

"Kylie, stay here," Michelle orders. Her face is determined. She dashes across the ice, making to Bruce's side in less than a minute. The camera zooms in tighter; dramatic music plays.

Michelle puts her shoulder beneath Bruce's armpit and heaves him up. His foot comes loose, and he immediately sprints away from the den, shoving Michelle slightly in his hurry. She falls back, her head whacking against the ice wall.

Then, as Michelle attempts to stand, one of the cubs slips off the ledge and slides down the incline – landing only a couple of feet from Michelle. Kylie's voice narrates. "Oh no! Shelly! Watch out for the mama bear!"

Sure enough, the mother quickly follows her baby down the slope. Michelle stands, frozen against the ice, her slender body pressed into a crevasse in the wall so she can't be directly seen. The music increases in tempo, electric violins heralding danger ahead.