Chapter 2

The Prince laughed. After some hesitation, his guards joined in. "Amusing joke, Abel." The Prince said. "But I'm afraid rather delusional." Anger tore apart my rational thoughts like lightning ripping the sky apart. My last name was cursed to have him use it. I followed my gut. I pulled out my dagger, and charged. The Prince jumped off his horse to meet me in battle.Guards on both sides stood stoid, waiting for orders, the idiotic robots. Lelia, my even more stupid handmaiden was trying to charge in to shield me. Meanwhile I fenced with the Prince of Jendes. I parried away his first attack. I was now close enough to see his eyes, polished and gleaming like a dark pool in the sunlight. I dodged his next attack, and struck his sword arm with the flat of my sword. "What's wrong Princy?" I teased, fake sympathy dripping from my lips like honey. "Losing your touch?"I remembered him now. We used to be best friends when I was little. Then he'd got arrogant, being the heir, and I'd got stand-offish, and we'd grown apart. Now we were enemies on the field of battle.He grunted, but smirked as he briefly gained the upper hand. "You've gotten worse since I met you." he said. "To you too, Arian Kendra." Behind my confident front I knew he was gaining the upper hand, and then Clement, one of the only guards who had brains, cleared his throat. "Um, ma'am? We're still here."I tried to act like I hadn't forgotten them, and that this was all my plan. I turned to the guards, a smirk forming on my face. "Attack!" I gave my order, sharp and crisp. "You think your little army will save you?" he glared at me, his eyes full of hate. "ATTACK!" He screamed. His own army charged."Princess."Lelia was once more beside me. I focused on her with difficulty, the way her pale blue eyes were wide, and her brown hair floating around her face. "You must get out of here." she said, her voice wavering between wanting to respect me and berate me. "No." I said, worried my voice was not as firm as I'd like it to be. "Go to our quaters, and come only when I summon you." She pursed her lips. "Yes, my princess."She drifted off through the crowd.I drew Twilight, the sword that was the last gift I'd reccived from my mother. Arian dismounted, a gleam in his eyes, and moved towards me with a sword in his hand.Before I could retaliate, a huge war horn interuptted us both.Father stood on the threshold, his battered army behind him. He had grey hair, and cold, unforgiving gray eyes. He wore regal purple robes, and a golden breastplate. He raised his sword. There was silence for a few minutes, except for the banging of swords and the soldiers cries, the blood shed on the very outskirts of the palace, the Prince of Jendes who had forgotten about the war horn and had eyes on me once more.I locked eyes with my father. We- this might sound mad, but I never truly loved him. Not the way you should love your father. I cared for him. We cooperated. He cared for me, but he didn't love me. It would not be a loss for him if I had been cut down in battle. That's the reality, the sad one I had to face.My father took his eyes off me and his jaw set. His lips parted, and he banged his staff on the ground. "Attack."His soldiers, all having gold plumes and gold armour, charged like banshees.Arian snarled in furstration, which I was pleased to hear. "I hate you." he muttered. "I love me too." I smirked. He was about to charge at me, but I nimbly dodged. He took a glance at his men, and his eyes hardened. "Retreat." he said. "RETREAT! Do you not hear me?" His army, largely dimminished, fell back, with the younger soldiers yelling. "Yeah you better run!" My father sleathed his bloody sword, and crossed the room towards me. "My princess." he said, holding my hands. This was a game, an act. My life was a stage, and sometimes I had to dance to the music. "Father." I said. "Thank you." "That prince is too cocky." he said in distaste. I nodded, and my father went off to converse with his generals. I was left alone with the bodies of the fallen.