Chapter 17

My heart ached with an odd mixture of shock and joy.

Before I knew it, I was smiling.

"Damn you." I said, the irresistable grin still on my face.

He smirked back at me. 

"What do you want now?" he asked, nonchantally, but I saw his long fingers tapping, making soft pitter patters, like rain.

"Marry me." I said. "Unite our lands once more, under our rule."

His eyes widened, but he quickly recovered with a careless shrug. 

"You could have gotten me a ring." he said, in a mock scolding voice. "You didn't even get on your knees."

"You're the one who's supposed to do that." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Glad I came prepared." he said, pulling out something from his pocket.

A gasp escaped my lips. The ring was ornate silver, with a red jewel in it's center.

Arian sank to his knees, his captivating eyes never leaving my own. He took my hand, and made his face as serious as possible, but his mouth twitched.

"Estella Willow Queen, will you marry me?"

"Yes." I breathed.

"I knew you would say yes." He winked.

"You shush, you're the one who thinks of me."

He crossed his arms, and pouted.

I gave him my hand to shake, and judo flipped him instead.

A trick I played on him a million times when we were children.

"Ow!" He complained. "That's not how you treat the King who is also your fiance." He crossed his arms.

Laughing, I extended an arm to help him up, and he embraced me instead, taking me by surprise. We were nose to nose, and for how cold he could act, he was warm and soft.

Then he pulled away. "Let's get out of here." he grinned.

Way to make me feel flustered.

Git.

I've spent a long time pondering my reletionship with Arian. Are we best friends? Lovers? Enemies? 

Turns out, we're all of the above.

Problems are never far when you're a Queen, but for now, the Queen's Revenge, my revenge, was complete.

And I was happy.