Chapter 4

"My dear." 

I tried not to throw up.

My most darling father was sitting across me, his expression full of fake concern, as he leaned forward.

"Estella." he said. "I have a job for you."

Of course you do, I thought but didn't say.

I had been woken by Lelia with a start, and I was annoyed, and I grew steadily more irritated as I remembered what happened last night.

That disgusting imbecile, my oh-so-dear father, had forbidden me to go to my safe space, the key to the answers to all the questions I had.

On the bright side, I now knew my father was suspicious, and whatever he was hiding, I vowed I would find it. 

Meanwhile, I had to listen to him if I wanted to survive till I managed that.

"I need you to deliver a statement to Jendes, to discuss terms."

"What terms?" I asked.  

My father raised his eyebrows, but answered. "Terms for surrender of course." "Surrender?" I questioned, surprised. "Why would they surrender?"

I asked the question because I know my enemy. Arian does not surrender. He does not give up. Grudgingly, I admired that about him. "After that humiliating defeat, how would you expect them to recover? Especially with that wayward prince leading them."
Father has always hated Adrian, the one thing we agreed on, but he didn't get some things about him. Arian can be described as a arrogant, devious prince, appearing to be sculpted by the gods, a charming face that can quite easily sweep you astray. But wayward? That was something he was exactly opposite to. He knows what he wants. Power.

It sometimes makes me disturbed that I want the same thing. 

Since my mother's death, I have been made to feel vulnerable. The terror and the grief around the palace, the feeling of suspicious glances, the feeling of bowing, listening to orders out of fear.

Fear. I loathed the feeling, and I never wanted to feel that way again, and with power, I could never feel that way again. 

A smirk pulled up at the corners of my mouth at the very thought, and my father looked at me curiously, the little twitch in his eyebrows showing he was unsettled.

I was pleased at the thought.

"Very well Father." I said. "I shall depart for Jendes." 

He looked at me, still suspicious, his gray eyes like sheet rock. Then he attempted a smile and said. "Good. I hope for victory for my kingdom."

I walked out, wondering what I'd put myself in for.