Chapter 13

"So?" My father asked. "Found any suitors?"

He was in a rather good mood, and I wondered why. "I'll have to think about it." I answered, crossing my arms.

My father had a chilly look in his blue eyes, but he nodded. "May you attain the wonders you deserve."

An unsettled feeling grew in my very bones, and just looking at my father's face, my fists involuntarily clenched.

"Good night, Father."

I turned on my heel and strode off.

Lelia was in my room, re-arranging some pillows. For the first time, when I looked at her, I felt a stab of resentment. 

What sort of princess are you?

I'm no sort of princess. I'm a damn queen.

"Sweet dreams, Lelia." I said, making it very pointed that I wanted her to leave.

"What are you up to?" She asked. "I know you're up to something."
My heart ached at how well she knew me.

"Nothing." I said.

"You're going to the library aren't you?"

I sighed deeply. There was no use lying, even though I still thought she could be the killer.

When I looked at Lelia, her eyes were darting backwards and forwards, like she was having a mental battle with herself.

"Don't get caught."
"Come again?"

"I said don't get caught." Lelia's first voice was a slight cry, and the second time she said it, it was calm, resigned.

"Well-thank you-" I could hardly get the words out.

"Go and do whatever you want to do instead of standing there thanking me." Lelia scolded. Her eyes were oddly bright.

I wanted to hug her, apologise for ever doubting her, unless she was leading me on a false trail...

I stormed out of the room, tears pricking my eyes. I was so sick of looking at the few loved ones I had with wary eyes, analyzing their potential of betrayal.

Tonight, I would find answers. 

I lit a lamp on my way, the absolute silence amplifying my nerves. I sighed in relief when my fingers found the wood of the door.

The light danced across the walls as I turned the doorknob.

Locked. Obviously.

I pulled a small gold hairpin from my hair, and pushed it into the keyhole, toggling with it until I heard a rusty click.

I took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

I made straight for the history shelf, the familiar smell of books wafting in my nostrils, as my dusty hands fingered the shelves.

I shuffled through books with tormentingly boring titles, and being an avid reader myself, I was surprised that I showed no interest in the other titles, which I would normally devover.

I searched with a feverish frenzy, when a small, neat black book caught my attention.

The book was so thin it could be mistaken for a bookmark. The cover was inscribed in small, red letters. 

To my darling Estella, I give to you what you want the most. The truth,

She knew me well. Judging how well this book was hidden, it must be it.

With trembling fingers, I prised it open, and the first page contained letters in beautiful, cursive handwriting.

Dear Estella

If you are reading this, I must have departed from this world. I suppose that is not the correct term for it, as I never wanted to leave you. I was forced to, by a man you would usually trust.

I will not say who, just yet, because there is more you need to know, and if I say who right now, you will rush off and destroy him.

I trusted this man too once. Back in my young days, when I was Princess Willow, just the way you are Princess Estella now, I fell in love with him, but love can sometimes be a trap. A cage of burdens.

Oh, my darling, I do not ask you not to love, because sometimes love can be the last drops of water for a dying tree. Love can sometimes make someone blossom and flower like the cheery trees in the woods near our forest.

Look at me, rambling. I don't have much time left to give voice to all that I want to tell you, but I advise you to rule with wisdom and compassion. Now, I shall tell you who my murderer was.

It was your father, which I suppose you already suspected. Duke, for I will never call him a king, was never stuble.

I have so much I wish to put into words, but my death is nearing. Go and rule my child. Remember, love is not to be a cage, but to be a union. Unity. This is something important.

Wait for the morning, and give Stephan the appropriate punishment at dawn. I trust you know what that is.'

Love, 

Willow

The tears I'd been holding back for so long finally burst forth, a trickling waterfall of greif, sadness, and anger.

Betrayal.

I never loved my father, and I always suspected him, but sometimes it is terrible to be correct.

My fingers traced the letters my mother wrote.

Unity. Love can sometimes be the last drops of water for a dying tree.

Go and destroy him for me my child.

That, I can do. 

My tears dried so quickly you'd think I was a desert. Fury settled into my stomach, and pounding waves of rage crashed against my head.

I was so enraged I could only see red as I stumbled back to my room and lay down, but my eyes were wide open the whole night.

Just wait father. I'd ask you to say hello to my mother for me, but she'll be in heaven. You wont.

I'll make sure of it.