Epilouge

I ran towards the courtyard, face-full of good news. There was a spring in my step, and my face was radiant with happiness.

It wasn't very dignified for a Queen, but I was grinning as I entered the beautiful golden courtyard, the late afternoon sun warming my back. I was bedecked in a soft blue gown.

However, when I arrived, Arian didn't have his usual smirk on his face. His pale fingers grasped a letter, and his eyes were stony, and grew darker as they swept across it's content.

King Arian, I had to admit, looked exceedingly royal in robes of deep red and gold, his golden crown lopsided on his dark hair. His eyes looked like they had seen everything, but I saw that it's usual merry stars were absent.

I was worried. He looked up, and smiled a little. "Hey,"

Okay, something was very wrong if he didn't comment on how awful the gown looked.

"I've got good news." I said brightly, hoping to get him out of his dark place.

"I've got news too." he said dryly. "But it isn't exactly good."

"You first." I said. His serious mood was affecting me, and I felt my pleasure ebbing.

"My uncle." Arian spoke, his eyes full of anger. "He's escaped."
"No." I said.

Arain's cruel, murderous uncle. There was no way. I grabbed the parchment, as if I was groping for evidence that this wasn't real.

Prince Arian, it read.

I heard you're a king now. 

It's me, your dear Uncle who you locked up in the dungeons.

You are a disgusting traitor who should never seat a throne. You are a cursed child!

Kingdom's probably falling apart at the seams, just like you did when I killed your parents.

Did I touch a nerve? 

I've escaped my child! How long did you think you could hold me?

Give me the throne you have, and we can settle this peacefully. Or I must warn you and your female sidekick that things will get as ugly as the first great war.

Relish in your power son, you'll be losing it soon.

I am coming for you.

King Andras 

"Arian..." I said. I didn't know what to say. My heart ached for him to have such cruel relatives. I understood how it felt when someone close to you was found out to be a murderer.

Arian's eyes were filled with an ocean of emotions, but he held both my hands and said. "It's okay."

"We're at war again." I said. "How is it okay?"

"Because he called you a female sidekick, and I know you're going to kill him."

I laughed, though admittedly it was rather a shaky one.

"And..." his eyes turned dark. "I'm not letting anyone harm us."

"You making me fall in love with you aside," I said, which rewarded me with a shadow of his old smirk, "This is trouble."

He bent his head. "I know."

We descended into silence's yawning chasam.

"What's the good news?" Arian asked.

"It's not good news anymore." I said, the utter seriousness of the trouble I was in sinking in slowly and painfully like a knife.

"What is it?" Arian's voice was gentle."
"I'm pregnant."