Chapter 5

I dressed in an ombre gown, the fabric soft velvet, light caramel at my chest and darkening as it swept below my knees. Lelia entered, her ever-present smile on her face, but it turned slightly forced as she spotted my messy sheets. "Sorry." I muttered, glancing up at her. She managed to soften her expression as she did my hair in small braids, shadowing my eyes, and reddening my lips.

"There we go." she said. "Alosa is waiting."

Alosa Starlight, my horse. Princesses are not usually taught to ride, but as my mother used to say, I'm not most princesses. "Give me a minute." I told her. She exited with grace.

I strapped a silver pocketknife to my thigh, took a deep breath, and followed her outside.

Chilly air bit at my cheeks, but the sight of my beautiful filly gave me a warm feeling I haven't felt in a while.

She was  black, with startling silver eyes, that looked like liquid moonlight. Her hooves traced the dirt, and she whinnied impatiently. "Take it easy Al." I laughed. "I'm here. 

I sprang onto her strong back, and took the reins.

Jendes is quite a beautiful place, in all honesty. Riding down the mossy hills, it's idyllic valley is spread out in front of me, like a soft tablecloth no human could sew. 

The palace was beige, and tall, with two tall towers, and a cobblestone walkway. 

I dismounted near the palace stables, showing the guard the white band around my arm, which symbolized that I had come in peace. He was a tall guard, who seemed to be the general. He had a visor on, but I could see his eyes, cool, murky brown, like the marshes nearby.

"Princess Estella, correct?" He questioned. I nodded, and the palace doors swung open, and I walked in. 

For a second, my breath caught at the beauty of the throne room. The walls were a warm, golden color, and the throne was gilded. 

The next second, I felt shadows all around me, and I was worried. Danger was afoot. The general had told me the message to the Prince had been conveyed, so he should have been here. 

Why wasn't he here?

My question was answered when I felt a sword touching the small of my back. "Honored Princess." a voice snarled in my ear. "We have heard of your Father's cruelty, but not of your foolishness."

"I am here in peace." I said. "You are not allowed to attack me under the circumstance that I do not draw a weapon."

The man laughed, and more emerged from the dark eves of the palace. "Oh, Princess." he said. "Here you are not a princess. You are just Estella, are you not?" I struggled to move, and I clenched my fists. Arian was going to pay for this. This was injustice. The walls didn't look so beautiful anymore. 

"Oh don't worry." his breath tickled my ear. "We'll be the first to send your father our condolences."

And they closed in.