Chapter 12

Arian placed both his hands in mine, and began doing an extremely quick version of the rumba, one of the trickiest ballroom dances to master. I had to dance till my feet hurt to keep up with him, competing with each other in the dance. He was sensing my reluctance, and using it against me.

Darn it. He's good at this. 

I was out of breath from the quick dancing, but I managed, "Bloody hell, you can't dance.

"Oh can't I?" He tightened his grip on my waist, spinning me around so that I nearly lost my balance and stepped on his foot.

"Look who's talking." He smirked, slowing down the dance as a quiet, slower melody played in the background. 

"That isn't fair." I glared at him. 

"In case it escaped your notice, darling, life isn't fair.' 

"Wouldn't I know? If life was fair I wouldn't be dancing with you." 

Before he could retort, I fired. "What did you want to tell me?"

When I glanced up, I noticed we were no longer in the ballroom. The cool night air brushed against my face. He'd led me outside.

Arian was silent, and I studied his face carefully. What was that expression...guilt?

He sighed and closed his eyes.

Then he kissed me.

The wind was knocked out of my chest.

Arian's cruel mouth was surprisingly soft, and his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer. I looked into his eyes, and they were filled with longing, but also sadness.

I felt him taking something out of his pocket.

Then he pulled away, and I found a dagger against my throat.

His eyes were glistening, his hand clenched on the dagger, and he forced himself to glare at me.

"So this was your plan?" I couldn't believe this was just another betrayal of my trust. 

Git

I was defenseless, and I couldn't reach the weapon strapped to my thigh either. Would this be the end? Would he kill me?
I couldn't look into his eyes.

He mumbled something I couldn't hear. 

"I can't." he muttered. 

"Can't what, hun?" I spat poisonously.

He sleathed the dagger, to my shock.

He wasn't going to kill me?

"What I wanted to tell you." he said, but there was a tone difference. It was cool, formal, and more serious. 

"Check out the library tonight. You'll find something interesting."

I remained standing there, lost for words.

A bit of his old teasing smirk came back. "If you could quit gawking? I know I'm gorgeous."

"Shove it." I scoffed and turned away.

As he walked away, I wondered. "What was that all about?"

But one of the parts I understood.

Check the library. Yeah, I'm doing that. I don't care what Father does anymore.