Chapter Seven: Grovelling

He approaches with unpracticed swagger, a white bandana blowing in the wind above his head as he holds it high. Before the smile crawling across his face can fully form, I turn away, rolling my window up and busying myself with menial in-car tasks. There's a small knock that I once more ignore. I ignore every sound he makes until he slams his hand on my window hard enough that I'm worried it'll shatter. I finally relent out of fear of him damaging my car and shove him aside with the opening door before stepping out, locking it behind me. "I'm waving a white flag, historically that means I surrender," he tries, shoving the white bandana close to my face as if I couldn't already see it. "I got a D in history," I retort but we both know that's not true. Miss perfect could never have gotten a grade that low. "Well even dimwits know a white flag means surrender."

"And what could you possibly be surrendering for?"

"I'm not even totally sure myself but you seem pissed so I surrender."

His words drag a harsh scoff from my throat as I turn on my heel, a hand coming to wrap around my wrist and pull me back with a nearing gentle force. "Y/n, please. Talk to me."

"What is there to talk about? You're the one who snapped at me, not the other way round so drop the innocent act. And for Christ's sake put the bandana away."

The piece of cloth returns to his back pocket as he lets out a soft sigh.

"Okay, okay. I know. I shouldn't have snapped at you but it's your f-"

"If you say it's my fault we are done. No second chances."

"What do you mean 'we'?"

"This, whatever this is."

"It's definitely not a 'we'."

"Well maybe it could have been but clearly not since you decided to go back to how we used to be. At least one of us grew up."

"Yeah because you're so grown? Just because I play a fantasy game instead of partying doesn't mean I'm immature."

"Do you actually hear yourself speaking?"

"Yeah, I do. Thank you very much."

"God, you're such a child. You wanna know why I zoned out yesterday? You really wanna know?"

I can feel his grip on my wrist tighten, a persistent force that spurs me on.

"I was thinking about how no matter how shit my life got the world will always keep turning. That while I was having the worst day of my life somewhere out there someone would be having the best day of their's. That I could die right here, right now from some mysterious heart attack but that wouldn't stop the world from continuing. Nothing about you. Not a single doubt in my mind about whether we were doing something wrong. I was even starting to actually like you as a friend and maybe even romantically but no. Instead of just talking to me properly you made wild assumptions and accusations and now you dare come here and tell me that thats my fault? Not fucking happening, not today. I've had a shit week and I'm not letting you make it even-"

Before I can even finish my sentence, there's someone dragging Eddie away from me, his tight hold on my wrist finally being released. "You wanna back up, Munson? Grabbing a girl like that isn't very polite," I can hear Steve say. I glance around and notice his car half-parked nearby as though he was in a rush to get to me. "You left your jacket at my place, thought I'd come bring it to since its supposed to be cold today. Who would have thought I'd walk in on Eddie Munson getting a bit too comfortable," he clarifies. "It's fine, Steve. We were just talking."

"I don't know about you, y/n but usually when I'm talking to someone they're not grabbing me so hard that I can't move."

Eddie stares at his own hand, a flicker of realisation dawning across his eyes. "Shit. I'm so sorry. I didn't know how hard I was holding you. I just didn't want you to walk away from me without us talking first." He shifts slightly in Steve's hold but Steve simply readjusts his body and tightens his grasp. "It's fine, Eddie," I sigh but Steve tuts and shakes his head. "No it's not fine, Eddie. You've got some serious grovelling to do if you wanna make it up to my dear friend here but if I ever hear about you laying a hand on her like that again I'll hunt you down and show you exactly why they called me 'King Steve'. Do you understand me?" He speaks low and dangerous, a voice I've only ever heard him use when defending me, Nancy and Robin. "I understand," Eddie tells him whilst continuing to struggle against his hold. Steve lets him go with a firm shove that leaves the longer haired man stumbling to catch himself.