Chapter Twelve: Nancy

We decide to head back to my house rather than his trailer due to me having the Wheeler's number on the notepad by my phone.

Once I've pulled up onto the driveway, I take in the curtain-twitching neighbours watching from every inch of the suburban Hellscape. Eddie seems to notice them too, opening my car door for me and holding a hand out to help me up despite the clear pain in his knuckles. The moment I'm on my feet, his lips meet mine, a palm coming round to squeeze my ass as he gives the nosey assholes a real show. There's visible anger and disapproval on all of their faces as they finally turn away from us. Neither me nor Eddie can fight back our laughter, both falling into hysterics until he clutches his rib and mutters out a curse. "You okay?" I ask, wiping humoured tears from my eyes. "All good, princess. Just a couple bruised ribs. They'll be fine soon."

Inside he takes a seat on the couch while I collect a first aid set from the kitchen along with a glass of water. I place them on the table nearby and sit cross-legged on the floor in-front of his feet. "Well thats a pretty sight," he hums, running his fingers through my hair. "You'll see it again soon, just gotta get these all cleaned up first."

I take one of his hands in mine, his other moving from my hair to the couch beside him, and reach for the wipes within the set. I quickly manoeuvre them across the skin, careful not to hurt him, before repeating the action on the other hand. After that, I reach for the antiseptic lotion. "This might sting," I inform him before beginning to gently apply it to one hand, his other clutching the couch cushion in response to the sensation. But aside from that, he gives no reaction so I repeat it on the other hand. "Sorry, I know that hurts but it'd hurt more if it got infected."

"It was worth it."

"What do you mean?"

"I'd take any pain the world threw at me for you."

"My hero," I reply lightheartedly as I wrap the broken skin in gauze and place an extremely tender kiss against it.

Upon completing the treatment of his hands, I move to the couch. "He really did a number on your face," I sigh, holding his chin and tilting his head to different positions to get a better look while he turns to sit facing me with his legs crossed. "You should see what I did to him. I may have forgotten to take my rings off," he replies, taking the rings out from his pocket and dropping them in my lap. I instantly pick up the silver skull and slip it onto my own finger, dragging a grin to his cut and bruised lips. "What are you smiling at?"

"Just thinking."

"About what?"

"How fucking pretty you are and how I can't believe you're mine. I don't deserve you."

"Eddie, don't talk like that."

"Sorry, I can't help it."

The look in his eyes gains a sadness to it that drives me to stroke a hand through his hair. "Come on, talk to me. What's going on?" I ask softly, taking a wipe into my other hand and carefully wiping away any blood on his skin. "I just- I can't believe you're still here. I feel like I'm gonna close my eyes and when I open them you'll be gone," he whispers, staring directly into my eyes. "That you'll realise I'm just some no good stoner freak and that you deserve so much better that what I can offer you. Or that you aren't even real in the first place."

"Give me your hand."

He holds out a hand and I bring it to my face. "Does that feel real to you?" I ask and he nods. "Good. I'm real. And you're not gonna be able to get rid of me that easily. You're not just some freak, you're so much more than that. You're protective and loyal and so caring. You're my freak." He bites back a small chuckle at my final statement, stroking my cheek with his thumb. "That I am. And you're my perfect princess." I roll my eyes but smile nonetheless. "Yes I am. Now can I please clean your face before you bleed out? I've grown too fond of you to let that happen and plus I've spoken to too many police today already." He nods with a gentle grin, staying still as I clean his black eye and treat the wounds on his face. "All done," I tell him once he's all patched up.