Chapter Twenty-Two: Prom

The day of prom arrives and I'm practically dragged from Eddie's bed at 1pm by Nancy and Robin with Steve remaining in the room to assist my long-haired lover. Wayne's got a fond yet ever so slightly mischievous smile on his face as I'm pulled past him, consolidating my budding theory that this was his doing. "Have fun, girls," he chuckles, giving us a small wave as I'm bodily moved towards Nancy's car.

"Where are you taking me?" I finally ask once I'm nudged into the passenger seat. "We're gonna get ready for prom at my place, no arguments. It's gonna be a fun little girlie pamper session while Steve, Eddie and Jonathan do their own thing," Nancy replies, reapplying a coat of gloss to her lips before starting the car. "Steve's coming? He's not even in our school anymore," I ask, glancing back at Robin for an answer. "He originally volunteered to chaperone but now I'm forcing him to be my wingman."

"I'm sure you didn't have to force him, Rob."

"I'm down 10 bucks because of it."

"Check your back pocket."

She raises a brow but reaches a hand back nonetheless, fishing through the pocket before retracting it, $20 dollar bill in grasp and a perplexed look across her face. "What?" she asks, staring at the cash. "Steve refuses to take money from anyone for favours. I give him some and always end up with more than I gave him in the first place when he knows I'm not looking," I clarify. She tries to hand it to me but i shake my head. "You keep it. Steve gave it to you for a reason." Nancy remains silent throughout mine and Robin's conversation, a tension in her shoulders and a distance in her eyes as she drives. I don't verbally acknowledge it and, instead, simply place my hand on her knee in a comforting gesture.

The conversation fizzles out, leaving the car in a comfortable silence, save for the gentle hum of the engine and the crunch of tarmac beneath our tires.

Music blares through the radio as the three of us (mainly Nancy and I) sit on her bed, primping and pampering ourselves with various sweet smelling products. "What time are the boys coming?" I ask, brushing through my hair so that I can take a shower. "They're picking us up at about 7 so we have like 4 hours left. So go get in the shower quickly since Robin's just finished. I'll start getting her sorted then I'll follow you in."

"I'm flattered by the offer, Nance but what would our boyfriends say?"

"You know what I mean. Less teasing, more showering."

She flicks a towel across the backs of my legs before throwing it to me.

Once I've finished scrubbing at my skin and scalp, I wrap the towel around my body and return to the room just in time to witness Nancy wrestling Robin down onto the bed with tweezers in her grasp. "Do you two need some privacy?" I ask, covering my mouth to muffle my snorts of laughter. "Help me pin her. She's got a brow hair out of place," Nancy replies, sounding ever so slightly breathless. "Get off me you fucking control freak," Robin replies good-naturedly, squirming between Nancy's thighs around her waist. The wavy haired woman is practically sat on her.

With a small sigh, I climb onto the bed behind Robin's hair and take a hold of her forearms, pulling them above her head and to my body so that she can't fend Nancy off. With practiced precision, the woman plucks the few stray hairs, gaining a melodramatic reaction from Robin who's now glaring up at me with a flush coating her face. "See? Now was that so hard?" Nancy tuts, clambering off of Robin. I release my hold on her arms and allow her to sit up before following Nance off of the bed. "I'm gonna go take a shower now. Can you do Robin's hair for me, please?" The woman asks, acknowledging my nod before disappearing out of the room.

"Fuck, she's hot," Robin groans, collapsing back onto her back on the mattress. "Yeah, she is," I reply, still staring across at the door she left through. I can feel Robin's perplexed expression on my back before I see it. "What? You didn't think you were the only girl in Hawkins into women did you?" I shrug, wiggling my brows at her. "Well I did until now," she replies, her confusion deepening. "Just because I have a boyfriend doesn't mean I can't appreciate the finer things in life," I smirk, slapping the side of her thigh lightly before hauling myself up from the bed.