A Leader's Dusk (Part 1)

TWs: Mentions of death, self-harm, depression, apathy

This one's just sad in general, make sure you're able to read it before you do.

Also I really don't feel good at the moment, so I basically refused to proofread this. If there's any mistakes go ahead and point them out politely and I'll fix them. Thanks, and enjoy (I hope you cry.) :]

———————————

Today was the day. Everyone in the Red Kingdom, plus Sabre for some reason, had decided it was Professor Red's duty. All because he was the eldest now that the previous two leaders had either passed or.. gone crazy beyond redemption. Granted he was also chosen because he was closest to the both of them and because he knew the most about leading, but age was most definitely the main factor in this situation.

Professor Red hadn't thought he'd take over leading an entire kingdom, and he's not really fit for it. He thinks Assistant would do a better job, if you ignore his constant insults.

He's lying in bed in his room, his mind wandering back to the most recent leader. Everyone had collectively started calling him M at one point and it stuck. Now, the professor wasn't that close to him, but his death sure was a shocker. He was one of the healthiest Red Steves, but.. Sabre said he was killed by Elemental.

Professor Red really didn't want to get up or do anything today. He, again, wasn't that close to M, but he was the only other Red Steve who would tolerate him and understand him. Assistant was basically his son, he didn't count. Plus he wasn't technically.. alive.

That aside, he hears voices outside his room, and gets out of bed. He creeps over to the door to hear the voices better. He recognizes them both as Sabre and Assistant Steve. He's worried since Assistant has excellent hearing, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"Assistant.. the funeral was only two days ago, don't you think he should have more time?"

"Sabre. The kingdom needs a leader."

Sabre audibly sighs. "I know that.. but.. he had an emotional connection to him. Well.. we all did, really."

"I didn't."

"Yeah but you weren't able to even if you wanted to, you don't count."

"I suppose so.. but the kingdom still needs a leader."

Sabre groans. "Then why don't you be a temporary leader? He needs time to recover! All of us do, even the people."

Assistant is quiet for a moment. "..fine."

Professor Red then hears footsteps going back where they came from, and then it's silent.

"I know you're awake, Professor."

"Uh.." He opens the door. "I knew you'd probably hear me."

"It would be moronic if you thought I didn't."

"Yeah.. right." He walks back to his bed, leaving the door open, and just lays back down.

"Sleeping all day won't do anything."

"Don't care."

Assistant walks into the room and closes the door. "You haven't been taking care of yourself since his passing, have you?"

Professor Red doesn't respond, only grunting and throwing his covers over his head.

"He's not gone forever. He's just not in the Overworld anymore. Stop being depressed."

Professor Red groans, "Yeah that's very comforting, Assistant."

Assistant walks over to his bed and pulls the covers away from him. "Get up."

Professor Red groans again. "Leave me alone Assistant."

Assistant picks him up instead. "You're refusing to take care of yourself." Professor Red tries to speak but Assistant doesn't let him. "Don't try to lie, I've been monitoring you."

"Well maybe I don't wanna take care of myself, put me down."

"I will take care of you until you decide to do so yourself, then."

"No- no. I can- I can take care of myself-"

Assistant looks him dead in the eyes. "No you cannot. Moron."

"Hey!"

Assistant carries him to the door, opens it, and then proceeds to carry him to a kitchen that was recently built.

"Now you know out of anyone in this kingdom that I can't have an influx of carbs after not eating this long."

Assistant sits him down in a chair. "How long exactly has it been since you ate?"

"When was M's death announced?"

"Professor."

"What?"

"You're a moron."

"Now why would you ever call me that?" He says sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"You haven't digested anything.. for two and a half weeks?"

"Well if I said yes I'd be lying, I drink water.. sometimes."

"Professor are you aware if you don't eat anything at all in the next three days, you will not survive?"

"Yup. That's my goal."

"You're moronic."

"Yessir."

"This is going to be a long day, isn't it?"

-------

It was indeed a long day, because Professor Red refused to eat. Eventually he did though, because he was hungry and he liked food. He obviously didn't eat much, but it was better than nothing.

Sabre had come back to make sure Professor Red was okay, and he was for the most part. Maybe a bit traumatized because Assistant practically force-fed him but that's fine, at least he's alive.

That was about three and a half days ago.

Honestly, the past few days have been long days, Professor Red didn't want to take care of himself and they really had to keep a close eye on him. It was tiring, but he's getting better.

There was supposed to be a ceremony for this special occasion. And as everyone thought he'd be a great leader, somehow, it's as if they still need a moment to judge and make sure. There was supposed to be a fitness challenge a few days before the coronation. The challenge would last a few days, depending what happens and how it goes, but it started today.

At the moment, Professor Red was hiding away in his room again. He didn't believe he was suited for this, and really didn't want to be judged so soon after his fast.

The fitness challenge started today. Well, it wasn't necessarily just fitness, but that was a main thing. So soon after his fast, he had to go through with this, really? It was his own fault but he didn't really feel that great, and he certainly didn't think he'd be able to do this.

Actually, the entire fitness challenge idea only came to mind for the people a couple of days ago. Assistant had postponed the coronation, with Sabre practically begging him to, and the residents of the Red Kingdom had decided they wanted to know for sure Professor Red could fit the spot.

Though they had no idea he had been hurting himself at all, they wouldn't let this competition thing stay put off any longer.

They were starting it today.