7

After school, Albedo hurried to find Sucrose.

As soon as he caught a glimpse of light green hair, he rushed over to catch the girl from the crowd. "Albedo?" Sucrose spoke in confusion as her wrist was caught, stopping her from leaving.

"I have an update about Kaeya for you." Albedo breathed out, he didn't work out enough which caused him to lose his breath quickly after sprinting, he caught himself and reassured himself he wouldn't suffocate. Sucrose's eyes lit up, her hands wrapped around Albedo's wrist to pull them into a corner together off the main exit path.

"What did he say?"

"He said he thought you were nice, although he doesn't know you very well so he didn't have a lot to say," Albedo informed Sucrose as her smile dropped slightly, "However, I organized all of us to hang out tomorrow."

Sucrose gasped, restraining herself from jumping around in joy, "Really?! Give me the details!"

"Kaeya said he'll take us to the milkshake diner, I can be the third wheel for you two." Albedo felt his stomach turn weirdly at that; he shook it off for the sake of Sucrose, she'd surely hate him forever if she knew Kaeya liked him and not her.

Sucrose took Albedo's hands into hers, smiling sweetly as her cheeks dusted an embarrassed red, "Thank you so much! I owe you everything, I'm glad you're insistent to set me and him up."

"Of course, you're my friend, whatever I can do that'll make you happy." Albedo smiled back, his stomach still feeling as if it had dropped out of him. "I'll head home now, meet me at the exit tomorrow after school."

"Tomorrow? Amazing, way sooner than I thought!" Sucrose grinned, waving goodbye as she skipped past Albedo to leave before him.

Albedo's mind seemed to make the time run past that day, he hadn't even realized when the time struck two in the morning as he sat awake in bed, scribbling on his chemistry notes. He began drawing an eyepatch onto the face he had sketched out, until the overwhelming sense of... Something he couldn't describe washed over him like a powerful tsunami. 

Was it guilt? Albedo's heart heaved in his chest, dragging him down like a weight tied around his waist, his breathing picked up as he tried to calm down, what was causing this?!

He didn't even realize that his fingers had dialed Kaeya's number on his phone screen before it was too late, it was like the device just appeared in his hand, he didn't remember ever picking it up himself. Albedo heard the phone buzz a few times before a shuffling sound was heard from the other line.

"Hi," He hesitantly greeted, worried he might've woken Kaeya up, which he probably did judging by Kaeya's quietness.

Kaeya cleared his throat with a few soft coughs before speaking, "Albedo? It's two in the morning... Why aren't you asleep?"

Albedo's breathing had calmed down by now, his heart slowly rising again, "I'm not tired," He hesitated before adding: "I wanted to hear your voice."

He heard a weak giggle, "Did you miss me that much, Bedo? You can have all of my attention tomorrow, don't worry."

"...Thank you," Albedo replied after a few seconds, feeling his face warm up; he sunk back down in his bed to rest his head on the pillows, "I told Sucrose about tomorrow."

"Oh, okay. That's good." The blond bit his lip at how Kaeya's voice dropped to a flat note, he felt sick that Kaeya didn't like Sucrose, he was hoping more than anything that they'd flirt and get along after school the next day.

"I think you two would get along quite well." 

Kaeya went quiet for a few seconds, "Albedo, are you trying to set me up with her?"