Chapter Five

Carlton woke to the feeling of—-

Blinking, he sat up, fully awake. He wasn't sore.

At all!

"How...?" he whispered to himself in awe but then remembered what had taken place last night. Glancing around the room nervously, he tried to figure out where the demon was, if he was even in the room.

After a quick survey, Carlton knew he was alone. There was no scorching heat radiating through the room, only his own, warm body and his own, warm room. Glancing at the clock, he saw that it read eleven thirty.

He squinted.

When had he ever slept in this late before? Usually he was up at eight or nine. It must have been the happenings of last night.

Carlton grimaced. He wished he could forget what had happened but it was imprinted into his brain it seemed. That demon wasn't going to let him off easily, that's for sure.

Maybe I should research some on him, Carlton suggested to himself as he went to the bathroom to get a quick shower. Maybe I can learn some of his weaknesses or something. Anything to keep him away from me.

Carlton started the shower and slipped out of his night clothes, eager to get back to the lab. Dora Skirth would probably want to finish their lab experience and to be honest, Cartlon did too. He loved working with scientists, especially ones who were actually passionate about what they did.

The manager of the Life Foundation stuck a hand in the water to see if it was warm enough and stepped in. He sighed, loving the way the water felt. It was cold outside and he welcomed the warmth, even if he had just gotten out of bed.

But still, he needed to hurry if he wanted to be at the Life Foundation at twelve. He had some papers to finish and some people to meet. This would be a day with no distractions, Carlton noted and stuck heavily to it. He liked having a schedule. It kept him busy and helped him throughout the day when—

Yeah, he needed to hurry.

But the warm water was so welcoming, it was like—

Why the hurry, Carlton?

Carlton shouted and thanked his lucky stars that he lived alone. Anyone hearing that cry would think a pig was getting slaughtered.

"What the hell, I told you to leave!" he snapped, glaring at the shower wall.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore, the deep voice replied smugly.

"Wha—just leave me alone! I already told you a thousand times I don't want to be your passenger!" Carlton muttered.

Oh? Well, then, I might have just made a little mistake then....Riot mused, his grin evident even though Carlton couldn't see it.

"I—Uh—Wh-what?" the man asked, alarmed.

Tongue-tied, already? How uncharacteristic of you, little treat. I thought you were better than this, Carlton...

"What did you do?"

You are my passenger.

"What? No. No, I can't be."

Ah, but look....

Two dark mercury colored tentacles seeped out of the man's back and curled around so Carlton could see them.

You are....

A soft, growling laugh as Carlton shook his head, not able to believe it.

It was so simple, but you made it difficult, little snack, the voice spoke. You could have just let me in but I saw that we weren't going anywhere with that, so I just let myself in.