Chapter Seven

Carlton walked in through the familiar doors of the Life Foundation and headed towards the lab. He was eager to continue his experiment from last night. Riot could sense this also and grumbled the whole way.

Upon heading down to their destination, a tall, bald man walked up to them. Riot was growly at first but then realized from looking through Carlton's memories that this was a close ally.

Treece.

That's what the man's name was.

"Sir, more lab animals have been shipped here. Should we put them in the same compartments as the others?" he wondered.

"Yes, and make sure that they are well fed, when they arrive," Cartlon replied, glancing at the man. "We can't have them dying on us."

"All right, sir, I will get someone down there," the other said with a nod.

Once he left, Carlton sighed.

"Okay, we're going to have to be fast if you want to get some food," he said under his breath. "The delivery truck with the other animals will be arriving soon and we can't cause a scene."

Maybe I like causing a scene. After all, my name is Riot... the demon chuckled.

"I swear if you even think about it, you're not getting food until I say so," Carlton muttered as he picked up his pace.

Ah, but I control you, don't I? It's as easy as a master commanding his pet...

"I'm not your pet."

Sure....

"Okay, we're almost there, we just need to—" Carlton began but then someone interrupted.

"Mr. Drake!"

The man looked up to see Dora Skirth approaching.

Ah, the little angel looks even more tempting today... Riot growled hungrily in Carlton's ear.

"We are not eating her."

She's annoying!

"She's only doing what she loves and if you think scientists are annoying, just hop out of me and find a new passenger."

Oh, I would never do that. Such a good little snack around and so few who would actually accept me...

"I haven't accepted you. You forced yourself on me."

Before Riot could reply, Dora finally caught up with them, smiling.

"Mr. Drake," she smiled with a nod. Carlton returned the nod and smiled a little.

"Treece already told me about the lab animals," he said as he continued walking.

"Oh, I was just wondering if we could continue working on that experiment," she replied politely.

No, Riot grumbled. We have other things to do!

"Oh, yes, uh, we could work on that," Carlton said, trying to block the voice out.

"Great! Are we going now?"

"Well, I had to check on some of the lab animals, they were reported being sluggish a bit lately," Carlton lied.

"Oh! I'll just come with you, then. The lab is right next to the animal's storage," Dora smiled.

No! Riot snarled, making Carlton jump a little. Tell her that if she comes with us, we will bite her head off!

"No," Carlton hissed under his breath. "We can't do that!"

"Mr. Drake? Sir, are you alright?" Dora wondered, peering at the man in confusion.