twelve

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter twelve.

"HOWS DAD DOING?" Hunter asked her brother over the phone

Cody sighed, "well he didn't really have a reaction when I told him I was reenlisting."

Hunter scoffed, "no offense, but he probably doesn't care. It would only matter if you weren't reenlisting."

"Yeah look at how he took your mandatory retirement."

Hunter laughed at the memory. The Callahan's were a military family. Her father was a general within the Navy Seals. And his father? Well he had been drafted into the Vietnam war. His grandfather, however, had faked his age on his army enlistment form to be deemed eligible to serve in the Second World War. Most had done all they could to avoid getting drafted, but not the Callahan's. Not to mention the dozen others who joined up on her dads side of the family. Doing something other than serving was unheard of for the Callahan's. Not that they minded, every single one thought they had a duty to serve their country and they did it without complaint.

The Callahan's were notorious. Each generation more skilled than the last. Everyone kid had a love and fascinating for guns. Each could hold their own in a fight, the hand to hand combat with one was lethal. At times, it was probably too much for her mother to take, mostly likely why she left without explanation.

After Hunter was shot in the hip, the marines discharged her since they figured she wouldn't be able to travel as fast on foot. Once her father had caught word of that all hell broke loose. If she recalled correctly, he had threatened numerous high ranking officials within the USMC and even got himself suspended.

While the twins and their father used to be close, it had changed suddenly after their mother had left him. He threw himself into work more so then ever before. Hunter hated to admit it but was worried about him.

"Listen, come out to LA before you deploy. Alexa said you're welcome to stay on the couch anytime."

Cody didn't respond right away but did eventually, "I can't make a promise but I'll try to."