4. News Arrived

Indraprastha, Sahadeva's mansion, morning

"Really?"

"Really." Sahadeva's widened smile assured Devika. "My messenger is back with this news. And it's confirmed from the side of Manipura King as well." He handed over a scroll to her. "This is his letter to Jyeshtha."

Devika exhaled deeply, closing her eyes to thank all Gods to whom she had been praying for Arjuna's well-being.

"Thank you for your help, Deva." She smiled. "Your charioteer has been back from a really tedious journey. Ask him to take rest first. I shall arrange for his rewards soon."

"And me? What about my reward, Bhabhi?" Sahadeva raised an eyebrow.

"Your reward?" Devika softly chuckled. "Well, won't it be better for you to receive the reward from Vijaya instead of me?"

"Don't you know your sister, Bhabhi?" Sahadeva faked a sigh.

"Undoubtedly I do. And that's why I can say this with confidence." Devika's eyes shone in slight mischief. "Jaya will give you your reward. Ask her for it."

"You are taking her side today?" Sahadeva pouted.

"I'm on your side too, dear." Devika laughed and patted his head. "Rajkumar Sahadeva, I give you blessings that you'll get the sweetest reward of your life very soon."

Sahadeva stared at her with squinted eyes, making Devika laugh more.

"I didn't get you, Bhabhi."

Devika smiled to herself. Sahadeva was the most intelligent among the five brothers, yet he could put aside all his wisdom and become so naive at times. Especially in front of Kunti and Yudhishthira, and sometimes, to Devika too.

As if he could allow himself to become a child when they were around!

"Don't stress your brain too much, little one. Jaya will explain the rest to you." She assured her confused brother-in-law, suppressing a giggle.

***

Yudhishthira's mansion, night

"What makes my Queen so happy today?" The King's eyes sparkled as the wave of her happiness passed over him too.

"This." Devika handed over the scroll to him that Sahadeva gave her in the morning.

"King Chitravahana from Manipura?" Yudhishthira's eyes stuck to the royal seal, his brow arched. "What can it be?"

"See yourself. Maybe he has something urgent to discuss with you."

"But what political issue could it be there in the far south that requires my attention?"

"The letter is for you, Maharaj. How can I know?" Devika casually shrugged and pretended to be busy in tending Yudhishthira's favourite white lotuses in the flower-pot. Still confused, he watched her for a while. The curve at the edges of her full red lips could not escape his eyes. Her effort of hiding a smile was clear.