10. The Unexpected Guest

Indraprastha

Fire God lept up in the Homa Kunda as Sahadeva offered the arghya into it, holding the wooden ladle with respect. On Vijaya's lap, his newborn son's tiny dark eyes were widened. He lifted his head to get a better view of the fire leaping to the height.

"Look!" Draupadi chuckled. "His eyes are on the sky, from now only."

"Son of a stargazer." Bhima added, grinning.

"Son of an astrologer, Bhrata." Sahadeva corrected, glaring at Bhima.

"Wait, son of an over-talkative, hyperactive mischief Queen too." Devika reminded. "He won't be as innocent as he looks like."

"Jiji!" Vijaya pouted.

"Stop teasing them." Yudhishthira came to his little brother and sister's rescue. "Our Suhotra is watching the yajna, not the sky. It's a great thing that the rituals interest him."

"Right." Sahadeva quickly nodded. "Gone after his Jyeshtha Pita, totally." He beamed with pride.

Their talks drew Suhotra's attention and he turned his head to the elders sitting around him. His eyes sparkled in wit, making everyone feel like he was understanding every word uttered. Aacharya Dhaumya smiled.

"Maharaj is correct." Dhaumya said. "The child's horoscope says that will become religious, attentive, and intelligent beyond his age. He will make a great warrior of Dharma. You have named him correctly as 'Suhotra', the most auspicious yajna of his parents' life. For this Indraprastha." Dhaumya put tilaka on the baby's forehead and blessed him with akshata.

The maids played conchs. Loud hailing greeted the surroundings in the name of the newborn prince. The court dancers and singers were busy to begin the celebration. Everyone eagerly waited for the priest to formally utter the prince's name and complete the ritual.

"Stop all these!"

Much to everyone's shock, a sharp scream lashed on the joyous surroundings. A tall figure stood in the middle of all celebrations, frowning upon the festiveness around him.

"Pita!" Devika's lips pursed. Govasana's rough shout and unfriendly body language held her in an awkward pause and she could think of nothing to manage the situation. Her intuition sensed the most unpleasant storm coming up on her happy home and yet she found no way to prevent it. A look at Vijaya and Sahadeva's faces hurt her the most.

They had to face this on this day!

Paused in a mix of shock and pain, all she could see was Yudhishthira standing up respectfully.

"I seek audience of the King of Indraprastha." Govasana declared, as stren as possible.

Yudhishthira joined his palms. "You are welcome to my nephew's naming ceremony, Pita. It's our good fortune that you have come on this special day."

"I haven't come here to join your family festival, Lord of Indraprastha." Govasana raised his hand. "And no need to cajole me with an address of father. I have no relation with you. Not even a political alliance." He stared hard at Yudhishthira. "My intention is formal and too serious to be diluted with such familial talks."

Devika bit her lips. Those words being hurled at Yudhishthira in front of priests, courtiers and subjects gave her a sheer discomfort. And that they were coming from her father made her feel aghast. She stole a glance at Yudhishthira. He still stood unpurturbed, hiding all the turmoil under the cover of his serene face.

"I shall listen to everything you have to say, King of Shivi." Yudhishthira nodded. "But pray, have your seat first. You must have been tired after a long journey."

"No need of such formalities!" Govasana snapped. "Definitely not after you have seized my prince without a fault."

"Lord of Shivi!" Devika stepped forward. "Since you have denied relation with my husband, let me call you so. Your prince is not seized without a fault. He has commi..."

"I'm talking to the King." Govasana cut her off, without even looking at her for once. "And I hope that he will be able to explain his reason without the help of his Queen."

Yudhishthira's face stiffened. But he chose to say nothing.

"Indraprastha-Raja, I have heard that no one returns empty handed from your door who seeks justice. Hope I shall get that too."

"You will, ShiviRaja." Yudhishthira evenly uttered. "But you have to excuse me for some time. Today is the ceremony of my little brother's first child. I cannot leave in between the rituals."

Devika's heart ached. She could sense Yudhishthira's struggle to hide the pain and helplessness in his voice. For a while it felt like all was her fault only. Chocked with guilt, she could not even meet Yudhishthira's eyes.

"It's my only request to you, King. Please allow me to complete the ceremony." He said again, joining his palms.

"I was told that the Lord of Indraprastha never ignores his duties to spend time with his family? That his first ever priority is the raajsabha and not the antahpura?" Govasana retorted. "Are all these just false rumours? Or does he take shelter to his family whenever he finds no solution?"

Reddish hue spread over Yudhishthira's fair face. Devika saw his fingernails digging into his palms, drawing blood. She heard his heart racing in that cold silence. An effort to control the anger made him struggle even to breathe. Yet no single word of disrespect came out of his lips. Devika's vision blurred in tears.

She knew that he was quietly tolerating all the pain, all the insult, only for her!

Devika forgot to count how long she stood rooted thus, helpless between two of her loved ones. She was pushed out of her trance when Yudhishthira hurriedly offered his final arghya to the fire and turned to his loyal charioteer waiting at a side.

"Indrasena, get my chariot ready." His voice was still calm. Devika saw him step forward. Concerned, she held his hand.

Yudhishthira paused and looked at her, nodding silently. His other hand patted hers. That touch had a deep console along with assurance that he would manage the situation. She lifted her gaze tto him, her eyes giving consent and support that he needed. Seeing him exhale, she left his hand.

The others had been on their feet by then. Yudhishthira patted Sahadeva's back without a word. The youngest Pandava nodded and patted him back. Draupadi bowed to the Homa Kunda once and followed Yudhishthira. Devika found herself seized in another tough choice.

Draupadi had rightly chosen to be a Queen over a sister and a mother. Devika felt thankful that she did not let Yudhishthira go alone to the sabha. But what would she do now?

Her heart had gone to where her husband was. But the physical form could not move ignoring the responsibility of the elder kulavadhu of this household, especially in Draupadi's absence.

How would she leave Vijaya alone on this day?

"Go Bhabhi. Don't let Jyeshtha feel alone there." She heard Sahadeva's grave voice. He nodded with emphasis as Devika looked at him with surprise.

"We shall manage, Jiji. You go to the sabha. Jyeshtha needs you there." Vijaya insisted.

"But Jaya..."

"You have to, Jiji." Vijaya firmly said. "You know well how Jyeshtha feels emotionally weakened when it comes to a father figure. Don't let Maharaj Govasana take advantage of his goodness and respect."

Devika's eyes welled up.

When did these little ones grow up so much?

"Indrasena has left. I'm asking my charioteer to take you to the court." Sahadeva said.

"Wait." Bhima came forward. "I'll go too. If in case..."

"No need." Devika shook her head. "Father won't take a risk of fighting against any Pandava. He has have that taste already in my swayamvara. This problem needs intellectual solution. That's what I need to figure out."

Joining her palms once to the fire and to Dhaumya, Devika left in a hurry. The tune of her anklets echoed with her raced heartbeats.

Vijaya is right. She needs to be there before it turns worse.