9. The Newborn Prince

Indraprastha

"What happened?" Devika narrowed her eyes as a sixteen-year-old girl hurried back, dropping her sword.

"It hurts, Maharani." She mumbled. Her eyes reflected sheer pain as she started wiping the fresh blood from her left forearm.

Devika noticed her wound. The other girls stood paused, watching their wounded peer.

"It will hurt, Madhavi. But it cannot hurt more than those rapists of Khandava." Devika's calm voice held no emotion. Chandravati looked at the Queen, surprised. Knowing Devika's compassionate nature, she could not believe this coldness coming from her.

"You are here to learn defence for protecting yourselves." Devika reminded. "Don't expect this to be easy."

"I know, Maharani, but..." Madhavi gave a prolonged suck to her bleeding fingers, desperate to heal them.

"It's unbearable!" She sounded helpless, almost on verge of tears.

Devika grimaced. "If this is unbearable, think of the pain of physical assault that might even leave you with death-pain. Will that be easier than this, Madhavi?"

Madhavi lowered her head.

"Don't be so weak, girls! This is for your good only. For making you strong enough to counter any possible danger. Know that it will take the price of pain. No one can learn defence without getting hurt at the beginning." She glanced at the girls. All of them had lowered their gaze.

"Either be prepared to embrace this or live your 'easy' lives with a lifelong fear. Choice is yours!" The Queen finished.

"Pardon me, my Queen." Madhavi joined her palms. Devika noticed that blood was still dripping down the gap of her fingers.

"I do feel your pain, child. But I cannot let you stop in between the duel." Devika's tone softened. "In the battle of life, a warrior has to heal oneself. Remember, your enemies would never ever wait for you to get recovered. You only have to wipe your blood and grab your sword again. There is no other way to survive."

Madhavi nodded, and picked up the sword she had dropped a while ago.

"I choose to fight my own battle, Maharani! Pray, guide me to win!"

Devika smiled now as she patted Madhavi. Her familiar affectionate gesture made Chandravati beam. She had discovered her Queen in a new way today.

Unless a mother allows her baby to fall and get hurt, it would never ever learn walking. Chandravati's respect and love for Devika became hundredfold. She clasped her sword tighter.

The Queen's spirit and courage charged all the girls. A fearful, soft Madhavi now efficiently answered back to Devika's expart blows. Blood flowed from her arms but she did not stop to tend the wounds. She observed Devika's skillful attack and defence. Devika's power of tolerance kept adding to her strength, teaching her the way to ignore the physical pain. After a few more blows, the continuous bleeding failed to even divert her attention from the duel. Madhavi persisted to give her best till Devika's final blow made her sword fall down.

"Well done!" Devika beamed and ordered Ratnavali to bring medicine. She herself sat with the tumbler of warm water to tend Madhavi's arms.

"No Maharani!" Madhavi held Devika's arm. "I can do this!"

"I know you can and you have to, when your Maharani will not be there for you." Devika said, pressing a piece of wet cloth on her fingers. "Hurting much?" She softly enquired.

An awestruck Madhavi shook her head, still caught with Devika's nobility. She sensed love and care in each caress of the delicate hands that applied medicinal paste on her wounds.

Fierce in battle, soft in caring. Just like a Goddess!

"Maharani!" A maid called out, breaking Madhavi's flow of thoughts. All the eyes turned to her.

"Maharani Draupadi is calling you. Devi Vijaya's labour pain has started." The maid panted for breath.

Devika sprung to her feet.

"Ratna, take care of the girls. Let them rest for a while. Ask Indrasena to send them safely to their homes." She quickly ordered before leaving for the labour room.

***

Labour room

Vijaya looked so different today.

Her face had turned pale, yet glowed in complete content. Her entire body, though lay unmovable in the fresh surge of excruciating pain, held a unique charm and liveliness. An aura of divine bliss surrounded her despite the physical tiredness.

Maybe that is how motherhood changes a woman! Devika thought as she caressed Vijaya's head.

The newborn boy was calm. He was yet to see the world around him as his eyes had not yet opened. But his movement of arms and legs were remarkably minimal, along with a soft cry.

"Deva's son indeed! Prince of quietness!" Devika grinned, kissing the baby.

"See who has come to meet the little brother." Draupadi's cheerful voice greeted Devika's ears. She turned back to see a grinning Prativindhya blinking at the newborn baby. The delight on his face made Devika beam.

That affectionate gaze on a little brother would have looked suprising from a two-year-old boy, if not from Dharmaraja's son!

Devika took Prativindhya in her arms. The boy opened his arms, trying to touch the newborn. Understanding his wish, Devika took him closer to the cradle. Prativindhya's chubby palms caressed the baby. His fair face glowed in a unique bliss. His tiny lips trembled for a while, before slipping a word he had never uttered before.

"Bhrata! Su!"

The elders had to take a look at him in awe. This was the very first thing he had spoken other than addressing his parents.

"Su! Su!" Prativindhya repeated. All elders heard him with awe, and watched the newborn slowly opening his eyes, as if responding to Prativindhya's call. The proud parents observed a silent conversation between their two kids, in a language that they would never understand.

"Like father, like son!" Kunti remarked. "Yudhishthira also learned talking after he saw Bhima."

Draupadi chuckled. "I also guessed the same. Had Iravan come here once, Prati might have begun speaking even earlier."

The two kids were busy playing and communicating with each other, unmindful of the elders' talking. Vijaya kissed Prativindhya's head as she lifted herself to a sitting position.

"Maa, Prati has called his brother 'Su'. Let us too call him the same, please?"  She pleaded.

Kunti smiled with a nod. Vijaya being the youngest of her daughters-in-law, she had become the most pampered one out of all her children. Kunti had never ever objected any of her wishes.

"Sure, Jaya. 'Su' means good, auspicious. Our Deva's son will be true to the name his elder brother has given. Let him be known as 'Suhotra', the most auspicious yajna of his parents' life."
_________________________________________

Hail Rajkumar Suhotra!

I dedicate this chapter to -HoneySplxsh
who has been the most amazing Suhotra for me. Love you dear! Hope you will like this chapter.

From the next chapter, something troubling will begin. As you remember, Kotikasya is still seized in the prison of Indraprastha and we can never avoid its consequences. I deliberately took a little gap between the unpleasant events because little Suhotra needed to arrive in a happy ambiance.

Keep reading. I will try to update sooner this time.