6. The Queen's Success

Khandava forest

Khandava forest

Takshaka had never been so surprised in his life. And, annoyed too.

It all started with one of his trusted friends convincing him for meeting a strange fortune-teller Brahmin who seemed to have no fear of losing his life. The King of Nagas could never ever imagine that a young Brahmin would enter his haven so casually while even the soldiers of Indraprastha could not.

He observed the fortune-teller with squinted eyes. The Brahmin was not alone. Beside him sat two more young men, who claimed to be the Brahmin's disciples as well as assistants. The fortune-teller was busy in some serious calculations on Tala leaf, not paying even the least attention to the Naga King's rising annoyance.

Takshaka waved his splitted tongue in disgust. A part of him still wondered why on the earth he was even entertaining these people over here.

"Your time is not going well these days, right, Nagaraaj?"

The Brahmin's patient voice made Takshaka burst out.

"My time never goes wrong, you fool. But yes, I ensure that my enemies' time do!"

Within the garb of a young astrologer, Queen Devika laughed to herself.

Yes, it indeed was risky to come here alone. But her disguise seemed to have been successful. Devika knew that rescuing the abducted girl would never be easy. She herself had to take charge of it, yet without raising weapons as much as she could.

"Your astrological predictions are powerless in front of me, young Brahmin. I hope you aren't forgetting to whom you're talking!" He uttered in a cutting voice.

Devika smiled. "Certainly not. But pardon me, Nagaraaj, I speak on the basis of planets who never lie. You might be the mighty chief of serpents, but even your destiny is decided by the planets only."

Takshaka's lips twitched, making his tongue dance in front of the astrologer's face.

"Do you know that I decide the destiny for anyone entering this forest?" He smirked. "I hope you have checked your own horoscope before coming here."

Devika smiled again. "You can take my life if you want, King. But then, you won't be getting to learn the future I can tell you."

"No need." Takshaka raised a finger. "I myself decide my own future and no one else. Get lost from here if you want your good!"

"So you want to mean that everything is going as per your wish in this Khandava?" Devika looked straight through Takshaka's eyes. "I heard that your valorous son, Kumar Ashwasena, was defeated by Ulupi Kauravyi just a few days ago. Is that true?" She narrowed her eyes.

Takshaka's gaze shivered away from the Brahmin's.

How did he know this?

"I can also see in your horoscope that you have lost the wealth that was recently robbed from Indraprastha." Devika looked confidently at Takshaka. "And some of your secrets are also going out of Khandava. Isn't it, Nagaraaj?"