Chapter 2

A/N: Santiago Rodriguez^

Viviana tugged on her hat and gave Jeanette and Santiago a mock salute.

They appeared at her side.

"If this is your illusion, it's not going to work." Jeanette deadpanned the second she was close enough to whisper to Viviana.

Viviana rolled her eyes. "I'm not the best at illusion work, Jeanie, you know that."

Jeanette groaned. "But you're good at everything! That's why we're here!"

"Not good enough to fool whatever magic proctor is in there about to give a presentation."

Santiago shushed them.

"I'll do the illusion, then. I've been practicing so I don't have to show up in this uncomfortable uniform anymore."

Viviana frowned. His uniform wasn't that bad in her opinion. At least he got to wear pants. Sure, there had to be a collared shirt and a vest, but he got to wear pants.

So unfair.

Santiago flicked his fingers by Viviana's head, a look of concentration on his face. Blue magic streamed from his fingers in a light mist, clinging to Viviana's skin.

When he dropped his hand, she arched an eyebrow and Jeanette gasped.

"Holy wow that's scary. If you were an actual guy, I think I'd ask for your number."

Viviana snorted. "I'm assuming this is good enough then. Thanks, Jeanie. Let's go!"

Jeanette stayed behind sitting on the floor outside the gym with her phone in her hand for entertainment while Viviana and Santiago infiltrated the meeting.

Viviana had to stay close to Santiago. Magic, especially illusions, did not transmit well over long distances. So she made sure to sit right next to Santiago on the bleachers, as other guys streamed through the doors.

A single speaker was set up on a stand, a microphone resting on top. The presenter was nowhere in sight, and it was impossible to listen for them the moment everyone else walked into the room, bringing noise and chatter with them.

Preisha poked her head out of Viviana's bag and sniffed the air before recoiling and dropping back into the bag.

Viviana stifled a giggle. Preisha didn't like boys very much, Viviana knew that. But she had never been able to get a reason for why.

Her only guess was that since Preisha was her familiar, she just disliked people who were nowhere close to being like her.

The bleachers were crowded with people now. The guest speaker would be showing up at any minute.

Viviana leaned over to Santiago. "Are you doing ok? With holding up the spell and all that."

"I put it on a lock. That way I don't have to concentrate too much." Santiago mumbled.

"Be careful!" Viviana hissed. "Locks are dangerous! If you leave it on for too long, you'll exhaust yourself and pass out."

"I know. Don't worry, I practiced this."

Viviana sighed reluctantly and leaned back. "If you say so."

The presenter walked up to the microphone and clicked a button, turning it on and waving at the assembled crowd.

"Hello! Quiet down please, and listen. You can go home in a few minutes I promise."

The boys reluctantly brought the sound down to a dull murmur. Thankfully, the presenter did not wait for complete silence before continuing.