Chapter 19

A/N: My best picture of Queen Ilsadora Silverstein, because this chapter is very important. ^^^

Jeanette and Santiago were far more rattled than they let on. Viviana could tell. She felt awful about it, but she couldn't bring herself to offer more meaningless words of comfort to them.

How could she, when she'd run out of words of comfort for herself?

Ezra did not seem to notice how on edge everyone around her was. Ezra moved around them all, like a zombie, going about her morning routine as she prepared for their journey.

Today was the day. The day they would confront Ilsadora. The day Isabelle's fate would be determined.

And Viviana was determined to save her princess, or die trying.

She remembered her promise to Elena, and realized that she had no intent of keeping it. Not now, when Isabelle's death loomed closer with every passing day.

She would get Ilsadora to remove Isabelle's curse, or die trying.

Perhaps it was a selfish decision, made out of guilt because she was not sure she could live with herself if Ilsadora refused and Isabelle died.

For some strange reason, Viviana felt convinced that after last night, her life was completely tied with Isabelle's, as a familiar's life was tied with a witch. If Isabelle died, Viviana would too, at least emotionally.

There was no point in denying it to herself anymore. The princess had completely stolen her heart.

And Viviana did not want it back.

Viviana tugged on her boots, coat, and gloves, mulling over what she could possibly say to Ilsadora.

What do you say to someone who may or may not be a psychotic murderer to get them to help you instead of kill you?

"Ready to go, Viv?" Santiago asked, looking at a point over her shoulder instead of directly at her.

Viviana ignored it, tugging the hood of her coat up as she left Ezra's house. "I was born ready, Santiago. Let's go save Isabelle."

***

Ezra drove the snowmobile.

Viviana suspected Santiago had spoken to Ezra behind her back, and made Ezra drive because he was worried about Viviana's mental state.

Viviana wished she was driving. It would have given her something to focus on besides her unease.

Preisha did not feel the same way.

"You are falling apart at the seams, Viv! I'm worried about you, and I know Tiago and Jeanie are too. You can't save Isabelle if you fall apart yourself."

"Watch me." Viviana hissed. "King Silas did not think we would get this far, and look at where we are. I proved him wrong. If I have to, I'll prove you wrong too."

"That's low, Viv. I'm just saying, to go easy on yourself. You are not yourself at all."

"Fine."

Viviana blocked Preisha out, and took to watching the snow drifts instead. The sun was steadily rising in the east, on their left as Ezra drove through the snow.

All too soon, the snowmobile rumbled to a stop, skidding to the side as Ezra hit the brakes.

In front of them, stood a giant ice castle, glinting brightly in the light of the rising sun. Three towers touched the sky, with one turret hovering above all the others. The double doors of the entrance alone seemed to span half of the height of all of the towers. It looked like the castle was more about appearing intimidating than actually living up to it. Actually, it was surprisingly beautiful. Viviana half expected spikes and a horror movie style "No trespassing" sign. It was rather disarming to see something so... borderline normal.