Chapter 3

A/N: Viviana Morales with her favorite jacket and hood^^

Jeanette swung her dangling feet back and forth as she gave Viviana a glazed-over look.

"That's your plan? Just break into the castle, like that? You'll be caught, and arrested for sure."

"You don't have to come with me." Viviana shrugged, holding her triangular prismatic crystal meant for future-reading up to the light. Rainbows refracted around the room, but no images appeared. "No one said this was your quest too or whatever."

Jeanette groaned and stood up, nearly stepping on Santiago's hand as she stood beside Viviana.

"We're BFFs. Best friends forever. Viv, that means we're together through everything until the end."

Viviana smirked and twisted the crystal, "If I had known that when I accepted the friendship bracelet, I was basically making a wedding vow, I would've given it a bit more thought."

Jeanette rolled her eyes. "Yeah right. We all know you're freaking impulsive for someone who's so good at magic."

"Pretty sure that's called intuition." Viviana grimaced at her crystal and zapped it with maroon sparks.

It shuddered in midair and almost shattered before projecting an image onto the wall. It was a girl sitting cross-legged on the floor.

But unlike the other people Viviana had unintentionally stalked, she looked up at them, frowned, and sliced the air.

The crystal swapped to the front view of their school instead, and Jeanette and Santiago gaped at it.

"What. Just. Happened?" Jeanette asked.

"Viviana stalked a girl after almost breaking her scrying glass." Santiago rolled his eyes.

Jeanette elbowed him. "No dummy. The girl! Did you see that?!"

"Probably just another witch." Santiago mumbled. "What are we even using this for anyway?"

"To find the best way into the castle that involves the least amount of guards."

"This is why the school is unfair." Jeanette insisted, sitting by her brother on the floor. "They won't teach us teleportation until the month before we graduate."

"It wouldn't matter, Jeanie. You can't teleport into the castle. Spells are on it from like a thousand years ago. You'd just get stuck in a wall. Not a pleasant experience." Viviana muttered, her eyes fixed on the projected image as she rotated the crystal with maroon magic to zoom in and out, switching locations to view the castle.

There were guards and cameras posted at every major entrance and almost all of the minor ones. But as with every security system, there was a major flaw.

Viviana spotted it faster than Jeanette, probably because, unlike Jeanette, Viviana specialized in weakness.

"Why are you just staring at that window?" Jeanette asked. "What's so special about it?"

The window Viviana had found was not particularly special looking, mostly because it was next to a stained glass window that took up a significant portion of the outer wall of the castle. But Viviana could see from this angle, that this window didn't have any locks, and it was almost open.

In reply to Jeanette, Viviana zoomed in on the bottom of the window. "See? That gap is small enough to be noticeable only as a draft. But it means that even if this window has locks, they wouldn't work. That right there is an exploitable gap. All we need is a telekinesis boost up... or perhaps a broom, and we can open it with a levitation spell or more telekinesis."