Chapter 6

A/N: Viviana Morales with her beloved coffee 😂^^

Present day

Elena sat frozen on the couch across from Viviana, Jeanette, and Santiago.

"You're sure that's what she said?" Elena asked. "That Ilsadora actually said that, and that it was a vision?"

Viviana nodded confidently. "I have no doubt."

Jeanette looked confused. "But it makes no sense. The mistake she's referring to must be her curse on Princess Isabelle, but if she regrets it so much, why would she cast it in the first place?"

"Witches, warlocks, enchantresses, and people all have one thing in common. They make terrible decisions when they're angry. They say and do things they regret." Elena supplied. "So, in a way, it makes perfect sense. Ilsadora cursed Princess Isabelle out of fury, and now she deeply regrets her actions, if Viviana is to be believed."

"That still doesn't mean she'll help us." Santiago insisted.

Viviana jumped up to her feet. "Maybe not, but we'll never know if we don't even try!" She turned, with pleading eyes, to her mother. "Please, Mama, let me go."

Elena rubbed her temples tiredly. The moments she took to turn the decision over in her brain had to be the longest series of seconds in Viviana's entire life. Viviana barely refrained from holding her breath, knowing that if she passed out by accident, Elena would surely put her foot down and say no before Viviana could protest.

Viviana's muscles tightened, her body becoming a live wire when Elena sighed and dropped her hands.

"I know you will never be happy if you don't try." Elena said quietly, "And I also know you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Therefore... you can go."

Viviana's jaw dropped.

She's letting me go... I can't believe it!

The next second she'd thrown herself at Elena, wrapping her mother in a tight hug.

"Thank you." She gasped, almost moved to tears. "Thank you, Mama."

Elena did not reply, but she hugged Viviana back just as tightly. Viviana knew her mother was sacrificing a lot by allowing her to do something this dangerous, but it only proved just how much Elena loved her.

When Viviana let go of Elena and turned back to her friends, about to tell them they didn't have to even think about going with her, Santiago held up a hand and Jeanette shook her head.

"No Viv." Santiago said. "If you're going, we're going with you. Best friends stick together."

"He's right." Jeanette added. "You're gonna need us out there, and if you think it'll be easy to get rid of us, you've got another thing coming."

Viviana smiled tearily, and hugged both of her friends in a giant group hug. Even Preisha squeezed into the middle of this one, not wanting to be left out.

Santiago and Jeanette stepped away almost too soon in Viviana's opinion.

"We'd better go convince our own parents." Jeanette said reluctantly, and Santiago shrugged.

"Leave it to me."

Viviana showed them out the front door, telling them she'd text them the start of her plans as soon as they were okayed by Elena.

When she walked back to the living room, Elena was still sitting there, staring at the table deep in thought. Viviana dimly wondered if Elena was already regretting her decision. But that thought was shoved to the back of her head when she sat beside Elena.