Hear my sinner's prayer

Already, Charles was having a shitty day. Going into the race on pole position, it should've been easy. He had the pace, he had the talent. He did everything right, but as soon as he felt the car start to slow he knew it was all for nothing. His race was over, and the win he'd earned was gone.

It's just one race, he told himself as he climbed out of the car, heading towards the pit wall where he knew Mattia and the team would be waiting. The season was still young. This was a learning curve. The team needed him to be strong and to stay focused. A positive mindset would help get them through this. The pace was good, the only problem was the engine and that was fixable. He could still do this.

As soon as he saw Mattia's face, he knew something was wrong. His expression was grim, and Charles's assistant Susie was waiting on the side lines. She was never at the pit wall unless something had happened off track, and it was never normally anything good. 

"It's okay guys," Charles tried to say, putting on a brave face. He could feel the cameras on him, and he knew that every second of his behaviour would be scrutinized by the media. He didn't want anyone to think he didn't have faith in his team. "We'll come back stronger."

His words didn't seem to have any impact. Mattia was still giving him that same sad look, his hand on his back and he tried to guide him away from the eyes of the crowd. "Charles," he said in a low voice, swallowing hard. "Come inside. We can talk later."

"I want to watch Carlos," Charles rebutted, "it's his home race."

"I know, my boy, but just come inside, hm? There'll be other races for you to watch and there's something -"

"Mattia," Charles said slowly, a sudden chill running through his core. "What's going on?"

"Not here, Charles. Come-"

"What happened? Tell me. I don't give a shit about the cameras."

"I'm so sorry Charles. Something's happened to Penelope."

Instantly, all the bravery and confidence Charles usually felt fell away. In that moment, he was just a scared little boy terrified that he was about to lose everything he loved. He would do anything, anything, to get to her right now, to keep her safe.

"Tell me she's okay, Mattia. Please tell me she's okay."

"She collapsed in the paddock. The medics are with her now, but they say they can't wake her.

Straight away, Charles was consumed with a furious anger. How could Mattia and Xavi not tell him during the race? How could they let this happen without him knowing? If the car hadn't failed, he wouldn't even be here. Penelope needed him, and he wasn't there. He should be there.

However, as much as he wanted to tell at Mattia, to scream until his lungs gave out, he knew it wouldn't help. Fighting wouldn't help her. He needed to be strong, to be with her. Mattia and the team could wait.

"Where is she?"

"Charles, they're doing all they can-"

"Where is she, Mattia?"

"She's inside."

That was all he needed to know. Charles took off at a sprint, racing towards the stairs and barrelling towards the paddock. He was so scared. His heart was pounding, his head was spinning. He was so, so scared.

There were people everywhere, whispering and pointing to a group in the corner. He saw the medics surrounding someone on the floor, clearly unconscious. His heart was in his mouth as he recognised her trainers, the white ones she doodled on when she was bored. Jane was sitting on the floor beside her, holding her hand and talking back and forth with the medics.