Chapter One.

Posting this to see what people think... If it does well, will probably continue it.

ENJOY!

~

Chapter One.

High School, the final frontier.

My friends and I were sitting outside, enjoying the last of the sun of the season, during lunch break. It was the middle of May already, and the forecast for the next few weeks were bleak. Though we'd see the sun again before Winter hit, we needed to soak it up now while we could.

I was sprawled out on the grass, eyes closed, trying not to fall asleep. I could feel the warm sun on my skin, making the underside my eyelids glow. It felt nice to just lay here and breathe in the fresh air. Far better than being in a stuffy classroom. The lawns had just been mowed, and the freshly cut grass smell was exactly what I needed in my life right now.

Usually it was just me and my closest friends, Violet, Josh, and Silas. There were two other groups we sometimes hung out with, Joel's group of himself, Sophie, Carly and Isaac – and then Paul's trio of himself, Daniel and Jack. All three groups had joined forces today, turning our group of four into a crowd of twelve.

"I've got vodka for tonight's party," Carly was notifying the crowd.

"Oh, awesome, I can bring wine coolers," replied Sophie.

"I can probably nab some of my dad's beer," Isaac piped in.

"I'll drink anything, really." Sophie sounded proud of herself. "As long as there's no bourbon. I hate that stuff."

Violet had told me a secret in private this morning that Carly had a crush on me, and was hoping to hook up at tonight's party. Which only made me a hundred times more nervous about going than I already was. I wasn't sure if I liked her or not. She was definitely attractive, and smart, and funny. She was far too good for me. I didn't see what she saw in me. She could have so many better looking guys than me.

There was several other conversations going at the same time.

"I can pick you up on my way there?" Violet was talking to her boyfriend – and my best friend – Josh.

"Sure, Silas is coming straight to mine after school so we can go together," he replied.

"What about Ryan?"

I cracked one eye open at the sound of my name.

"He has practise after school, so he's meeting us there," Josh answered for me, so I closed my eyes again.

"Practise? On a Friday?" Violet protested.

"Coach was sick Wednesday," I informed her, eyes still closed, "and we have a meet coming up."

"Hey, guys!" Silas called out. "Is anyone doing jelly shots?"

"Nooo!" Several people groaned simultaneously, myself and Violet included.

"Why not?" Sophie demanded.

"My carpet still smells of jelly puke," Violet cringed. I couldn't help grinning at the memory. Last year Silas had downed an entire bucket of jelly shots to himself, you'd be correct in assuming his body didn't agree with it, and Violet's bedroom floor copped the brunt of chunky liquid rainbow puke. And she was right, there was still a stain that smelt like off jelly, despite how much we'd scrubbed it. That spot was cursed now, haunted by the remnants of a good time – or a ghost who loves jelly shots.