Chapter Four.

Plot twist...

ENJOY!

~

Chapter Four.

At lunch on Monday I'd been looking forward to just relaxing on the lawn, soaking up the very last sun that was peaking through dark clouds, and enjoying my ham and cheese sandwich.

But when I turned the corner that opened out to our area, I saw Joel and Sophie embracing, and my mood sank. I wasn't very hungry after that.

I turned around to leave, but ran into Silas, who had a mischievous grin on his face.

"I forgot before, I have something for you," he chuckled.

"Oh? Should I be concerned?" I teased. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a little plastic bag, and handed it to me. It took me a moment of closer inspection to see what it actually was.

"They're clip on earrings," he explained. "So you can wear them out of the house without worrying about your mum finding out. You don't have to wear them at school, or at all, but it's an option, if you wanted."

I was so touched, I threw my arms around him in a tight hug. "Thank you. They're awesome." I let him go to pull them out and clip them on, but they were a little fiddly. They were just plain black little hoops, neutral and not outlandish. They were exactly what I wanted.

"They might feel weird at first, but you'll get used to it," Silas explained, helping me clip them on my ears. It did feel weird, but it also felt good.

"How do I look?"

"Bad-ass," he grinned. "But more importantly, how do you feel?"

"Bad-ass," I beamed.

I was grateful. Silas had really cheered me up again.

But as the days went by, I was beginning to realise I couldn't just ignore it this thing with Joel. It was like a spark had been ignited inside me by his kiss. I watched him longingly from a distance when he was around, desperate for his touch. I was driving myself mad.

But it was just me. It was one-sided. He'd been drunk, and given a chance to kiss me again, he'd left. Which meant he must have thought I was someone else that first night, and when he realised he had made a mistake, he wasn't going to make it again.

I was going to have to find a way to move on.

At Thursday practise my mood was beginning to show in my performance. My time was the slowest in the entire team, which was unusual for me. Even Ben noticed something was off, and said so while we were changing after hitting the showers.

"Everything alright?" he asked, doing up his shoelaces.

"Fine." I pretended not to know what he was talking about.

"You're usually our best for butterfly. Something on your mind?" he probed.

"Nope. Just tired."

"Alright." He didn't seem convinced, but he didn't pry further.

As I was walking home Friday with Josh, however, it became clear that Ben hadn't let it go, and had sought out the help of my best friend on the matter.

We were walking in the drizzle of the afternoon, hoping to get home before it really started to pour down. I was regretting trusting the weather forecast and not driving to school. Josh and I had stopped for a moment to take shelter under a large Peppi tree. It was still damp under here, but it was better than out in the open, and the smell of wet eucalyptus was soothing.