guess who?

Age: 10

The Wilsons--Kace's parents--had been arguing all day. Through the night, too. I couldn't understand what it was about, but it was making my best friend sad.

We were both sitting on his bed, unable to sleep due to the loud conflict. To keep distracted, we'd been talking about anything and everything.

His new favourite colour was orange. "Crayon orange" to be exact. Previously, it was green. The green of the trees outside on his lawn.

Despite finding out this new information about my best friend in the whole wide world, it wasn't distracting enough. And when Kace sighed for the third time in ten minutes, I decided to take action.

"We should play 'Guess Who?'"

There was only one issue with that plan: we had to sneak out of his bedroom to get the game. At least the board games were in the hallway closet not too far from us, which made things easier.

I offered to get it myself, but Kace disagreed.

"I don't want you getting in trouble alone. We do everything together, remember?"

I nodded and smiled widely.

The riskiest part was his bedroom door; it creaked loudly. How slowly you adjusted it never made a difference.

Kace inhaled deeply, held his breath, and twisted the door handle slowly. We shared a glance and, with trepidation, pushed on the wood.

As expected, the hinges groaned. But thankfully for us, his parents were arguing so loud that they didn't hear it.

"We need to be quick," Kace whispered as we tip-toed into the hallway in our matching Batman socks. 

Operation 'retrieve GW without being caught' went over smoothly and once we were back in his room, we let out collective breaths of relief.

We giggled as we played the game; I was much better at it than Kace. After a million or so rounds, his eyes were bluer and brighter than before.

It was then that I declared the mission a success.

***

-A/N-

Just a little wholesome moment between our fav boys.

QOTC: What was/is your favourite board game?

Mine is Harry Potter Cluedo 😏

- C x