three weeks

Age: 15

Three weeks passed by without Kace and it felt as though I was missing a limb.

Declan and Jason carried on as if he were never there to begin with. Kelly couldn't remember his name to save her life. And, worst of all, no one spoke of him except for me.

I wasn't keen on forgetting him just because he moved away.

He was my best friend after all; it was to be expected that his absence would be loud. Nothing felt right or whole.

Still, in a way, it wasn't obvious. Life flowed on. I went to school, hung out with friends, and went to church with my parents. The same as I'd always done. 

However, my assignments were piling up, I spaced out during conversations, and my parents had to practically drag me out of bed every Sunday morning since Kace left.

It was like drinking tea that hadn't been steeped for long enough. Or, walking around dreamland with your eyes closed. You still drank the weak, tasteless tea, and dreamed nonetheless. Didn't make either activities enjoyable or satisfying though.

The notification of a new message sounded from my phone. Reaching my arm across lazily, I grabbed onto my phone and unlocked the screen, only to be greeted with Kace's chat-head. His profile picture stared back at me as my breathing quickened with anxiousness. That bright smile caused a tightness in my chest. 

Tapping on his icon, I opened his message. 

Hey! Haven't talked in a while... just wanted to know how everything's going?

Hey dude, everything's good here. You?

That's good... I'm okay I guess. It doesn't feel like home here.

Isn't home where your family is?

Apparently not.

Oh.

Yeah.

If it helps, we all miss you.

I miss you too.

***

A/N:

Sorry for the sudden hiatus. Ateez promos have been crazy 😂

QOTC: have you ever had a close friend move away before?