default: lying & changing the subject

Age: 14

There was something about school that made me exhausted. Sure, I had spent the entire day procrastinating, but somehow, I was still tired and ready to sleep by the time I got home.

"I can't believe Declan's been going out with Bella for over a year!" Kace exclaimed as soon as we entered his room.

His amazement was obvious in the way that his vibrant blue eyes widened. I smiled. 

Falling backward onto his bed, I focused on the ceiling. "Yeah, I remember when he was bragging about kissing her." 

From the corner of my eye, I saw Kace nod, a thoughtful expression pinching his face. "I don't know why everyone was so into her." He shrugged, sitting down next to me.

I tilted my head at him. "You don't think she's pretty?" 

"Of course not," Kace frowned. "Why? Do you?"

My heart started beating faster, panic checking back in. Before my freak-out got too intense, my gaze directed back onto the ceiling. "She's okay." When Kace didn't answer, my eyes found his. He was still frowning. "What's wrong?"

Quickly shaking his head, he averted his eyes and mumbled, "Nothing."

Too afraid that he would call me out for lying, I did what I did best. Changed the subject.

"So, what are we doing today?"

***

-A/N-

QOTC: Favourite book genre? 📚