Chapter 3 - Part 4 "Lackeys"

Ayanokouji POV

The group of pursuers would most likely spread out and enclose this area, preventing our escape. Aozaki laid her suitcase on the floor and opened it. What came out next was a red mist taking the shape of a feline-like creature.

Himeno began to cover her head with the length of her arms and stayed close to the ground of sand and debris. It wasn't a strange way to react. After all, it was her first time experiencing this type of violence.

"Try not to panic. Occurrences like these are commonplace to a mage. Just think of the next logical action to take."

She heeded my advice and inscribed the rune 'Ehwaz' onto the wall by scratching it with a rock she had found. The wall then became a lot more durable to the onslaught of magecraft.

A person appeared in front of us and I quickly bolstered up my physical capabilities. He used Reinforcement on himself to do the same.

Time began to register differently as I increased the pace of my thoughts. The slow-moving world I perceived was the one I was most familiar with.

Without leaving cover, I pulled on his arm with immense force. His face was riddled with surprise with the strength and speed with which I executed it with. Before he could readjust his balance, he executed a side kick. I parried it with my right knee and used my free hand to strike below his ribcage. I then quickly kneed his stomach causing him to fall unconscious.

Another man emerged from behind. He was dressed heavily and had something obstructing his face to cover his identity. He held a Mystic Code that resembled a wand.

Before he could utter a chant, I used Reinforcement on a piece of debris that contacted my foot had contact with and kicked it with enough accuracy and power to break the wand.

Thought Acceleration and Memory Partition was mostly used by Alchemists of the Atlas Institute to make complex calculations and analyses on objects on phenomena. However, I had used it for combat for as long as I could remember, calculating projectile motion, the fighting style of my opponent, and analyzing the structure of objects to reinforce.

Himeno, who was closer to him, tried to kick the man down. Although the blow connected, he chose to increase our distance from him and use construction equipment as a cover. I grabbed another rock, strengthened it, and bounced it off a piece of metal adjacent to him. It ricocheted perfectly and caused a direct hit. He winced in pain from the unexpected attack.

I closed in and delivered a punch to him. He had attempted to defend with a spell, but his incantations were not completed in time. Another one down. Although, at this pace, we would be overwhelmed with numbers before we could defeat them.

The other assailants were occupied with dealing with Aozaki's familiar.

I put my hand against the sandy ground and used an elemental spell to heat it causing it to form a chunk of glass. But, the quality of such glass was poor and had no uniform structure. I used Reinforcement on it to increase its property of reflectiveness, allowing me to see part of the ensuing chaos as I and Himeno continued to hide behind the wall.

Aozaki's familiar was extremely agile. Jewels propelled through the air like missiles that had locked onto it. In spite of that, it managed to avoid all incoming projectiles of magical bullets, jewels, and Gandrs.

Meanwhile, the woman in question drew a rune in the air with the smoke from her cigarette and a flame simultaneously from an incoming mage.

It managed to keep on assaulting them and killing a few. Seeing an opportunity, I leapt and scaled the unfinished structure of concrete and metal, drawing attention to myself.