17. Exams, Begin!

Everyone had finished applying for the Chunin exams-even the reluctant ones. Konoha found itself witnessing all sorts of crazy acts by genin training on the streets and the training grounds. Some of them even earned money as a sideshow for putting up 'performances' in the name of training.

The streets were lined with vendors and decorated stalls taking advantage of this new influx of customers from all the other nations. Everyone put out their best to sell their wares and the stores that sold speciality products only found in Konoha had a steeply rising boom in sales by people buying souvenirs.

Konoha's stadium had to get some last minute expansion done to accommodate the great number of audience. The original estimate was half of what they had now.

En route to Konoha chugged along a train slowly over tracks that connected all nations all over the world. They were special, each joint made by the best chakra specific magnet conducting steel to propel the hulking carriages forward.

Three such consecutive carriages were completely empty save for one compartment in the middle carriage.

It was of course the privilege of the kage to reserve such luxury.

"We should be reaching Konoha soon."

"The Chunin exam starts tomorrow. You guys fired up and ready to go?"

Kankuro and his brother, Gaara, the Kazekage, sat crossed legged facing three genin of their village.

The masked genin spiritedly replied with a "Yessir!"

The blond girl beside him listened to music on her stylish headphones, loud enough for everyone seated there to hear it too.

"So as to not tarnish the name of our great father, we three shall obtain victory without fail." Shinki with his painted face and a fuzzy, black cloak stared seriously at the Kazekage.

Gaara had a small wry smile on his usually expressionless face. "You don't have to be so crazy about it Shinki... I'm not the one you should be worried about, it's the rivals from other villages that you haven't even met yet..."

"The other villages... won't be a problem." Shinki stated even more seriously.

Kankuro exchanged glances with Gaara and shrugged defeated by Shinki's uptightedness. He was way too serious about anything even remotely relating to Gaara.

"Well, no matter. In any case you three, make sure to rest well today."

"Yessir!"

Gaara looked forward to reaching Konoha soon.

.............

"Now! As of this moment! We will begin the Chunin selection exam!"

Shikamaru stood upon a stage and declared the start of the special event that graced the village that year.

All the candidates stood in rows at the exam site 'Venue B'. There were two cube framed structures covered in black cloth with the symbol of the Hidden Leaf on them.

"Everyone, now is the time to show of the fruits of your labour!"

He glanced at his son's team below him. Shikidai was yawning away. Chōchō was snacking away and Inojin was distracted by the packet of chips in her hand.

'Are these guys even trying?' Shikamaru worried.

Sarada, Boruto and Mitsuki were grouped together awaiting the beginning of the test. They felt the palpable pressure emitted from the shinobi standing near them. Everyone had an excitement bubbling in their bellies waiting for the time to showcase their abilities.