how to save a life | yatonokami nayuta

» in which you invite nayuta for a talk in order to confront him regarding the things he was hiding from you, shiki, and kanata.

warning: major character death

___

"nayuta, we need to talk."

nayuta stops in his tracks to turn and look at you.

"what is it?" he asked.

you choked up your words as he shrugged and continued to aimlessly walk around the rooftop of the abandoned building where you two usually hang out.

"nayuta, please sit down. it's just a talk." you answered, trying to muster up an illusion of confidence yet your voice wavers with uncertainty.

"okay? sure i guess." nayuta replies with a polite smile as he takes the place beside you, both of your feet dangling from the edge of the building that overlooks the city with the slums right under your feet.

"i know you're struggling, and it's ok! there's nothing wrong with that–" you started yet nayuta was quick to cut you off.

"what are you on about? everything's fine!" nayuta interjects. "you don't have to worry about anything at all, i swear." nayuta continued.

"don't get me wrong, i trust you. i know you. you've been through so much and i believe that you'll get through this too." you replied. "but im just worried, nayuta."

"what for?" by the time he asked you this, his smile has already faded, only to be replaced by his lips pursed in a firm line, the wrinkles around his eyes long gone.

"you're deathly pale. you look like your supporting your arm like it's about to fall off. you started wearing hoodies on summer. your "job" is getting shadier than it already is. you're keeping secrets from me, shiki and even from kanata." you listed off.

"i'm just worried for you, nayuta." you whispered, not knowing if he heard you in both a figurative and literal way.

"then don't be!" nayuta raised his voice. when he turned back to look at you for the third time, his eyes were glazed with tears yet furious.

you were horrified. you didn't want to push it too far. was it wrong for you to bring it up? though you can see him falling apart piece by piece and there's nothing you can do?

"i'm sorry..." at this point, your voice was barely above a whisper as you choked back your tears.

"let me ask another question, nayuta. this will be the last for today." you mumble.

"whatever." he replied, staring off into the setting sun right in front of both you and him.

"would you drive until you lose the road or break with the ones you've followed?"

"i'm just not the same, ____" nayuta replied.

and little did you know that time that this were going to be his last words to you.

the rooftop felt empty without shiki and nayuta. it felt like it was devoid of something.

with a sigh, you sat on the edge yet again. this time, you were the only one overlooking the city from the rooftop. you were the only person with the city slums right under your feet. you were the only one left.

you were the only one left to wonder where did you go wrong?

you lost a friend, you lost nayuta without even having the chance to bid him farewell. later that night, when you went to the abandoned building, you halted in your tracks as you saw kanata hugging nayuta's corpse close to him. the older brother screaming in anguish as he held nayuta's breathless and unmoving body closer to him in a bone crush embrace, with the older twin's tears falling from his cheeks and into nayuta's face.

if only you knew that this was going to happen, you would've stayed up with him all night.

had you known how to save a life.