faithless | kanbayashi yohei

» in which yohei gives you a gift that accidentally lead to a chain of surprising revelations.

*female!reader with she/her pronouns
*angsty. like really. sorry for the angst, some people just wanna watch the world burn. i am 'some people'.
*if it helps, think of this as an au where their trauma gets the better of them and they turn nasty.

___

it started out with a gift. a simple, unsuspicious perfume box decorated with a bow. an ingenuous action from your boyfriend yohei.

the bottle was shaped like a teardrop, amber colored liquid filling the container to the brim. once you opened the perfume, you pressed the spray a few times and directed it to your wrist. the rich camellia scent wafted through the air. such a lavish present to get you. you wondered what could've been the event. you shrugged your shoulders, if it was important you would've remembered it by now, right?

a few days had already passed. you and yohei were laying side by side in your bedroom. it was already past dinner and shiki volunteered to take care of the dishes– freeing yohei from a few more chores before he needs to go to bar 4/7 and open up for business.

"have you tried playing the piano?” yohei asked you.

"hm.." you thought to yourself, trying to skim through your memories. "i don't think i have." you confessed.

"alright, get up, we're going to the bar right now." he declared, getting up and offering you a hand.

"why?" you asked, yet complied and took his hand anyway.

"i'm going to teach you." he smirked.

"you know how?" you asked, surprised and head tilting to the side.

"of course." he snickered. "why are you so surprised?" he added.

"i didn't expect you to, you know? you don't look like someone who'd play the piano." you defended.

"wow, i'm hurt." he retorted with a laugh.

"alright, alright, just teach me how to." you laughed.

a couple of months had passed now, while you were sitting on the piano bench, yohei took his position behind you, carefully placing his hands over yours and guiding your fingers to the keys he thought you about.

you were practicing the intro to their new song, "faith'– a freshly made song for their upcoming stage, 'justice'.

"have you thought of rapping?" yohei asked you out of the blue, causing you to halt your practice.

"that's an interesting idea." you hummed.

"we could rap together, you, me, saimon." he suggested.

"where's this all coming from?" you asked.

"nothing." he shrugged. "just thought it'd be fun." he added.

coincidentally, saimon walked in just when you were about to respond.

"yohei, ___, good evening." saimon greeted.

"good evening, saimon-san." you greeted back.

"yohei, do you have a minute?" he asked, not giving the aforementioned man time to answer as he dragged yohei to the backrooms of the bar.

you knew you were supposed to keep your hands to yourself and mind your business, it was something between the two of them. the two of them who had been friends for well over a decade now, yet there was something telling you to move your feet and eavesdrop on their conversation– and so you did.

"what you're doing is wrong, yohei." you could hear saimon say.

"i don't see anything wrong with it." yohei responds. "besides, she's my girl– it's none of your business."

"it starts to be my business when i see you trying to turn her into my dead wife." saimon sharply replies. "don't think that i didn't notice."

"really?" yohei replied, voice laced in a cocky tone. "how about not trying to look at my girlfriend when she's taken already? it's not my fault tsubaki-san died, it's you who pulled the life support remember?"

"-!!" you could hear saimon's shock. "you're going too far now." he replied.

"give me a fucking break then!" yohei argues in frustration. "the first and last person i'll ever fall for was taken! by you!"

"is that why you're trying to make ___ into your own tsubaki?" you could hear the shakiness of saimon's voice as he asked. "yohei, you just can't change someone to be the tsubaki that will fill the space in your heart."

"then what the fuck am i supposed to do,  saimon? slowly go insane, mulling over the fact that i never told her how i felt because i respected the two of you too much to the point where i willingly neglected everything genuine i felt? is that you wanted to happen in my shitty life?" yohei's voice from his outburst was loud enough for you to hear clearly.

"but that's no reason for you to take an innocent girl's heart, play with it, and turn her into another person!" saimon reasoned. "did you really think it was fair to make her wear the same perfume as tsubaki? to teach her how to play the piano like she did? to teach her how to rap as tsubaki's replacement in quadra x?" saimon added.

"i don't know okay! i don't fucking know!" yohei shouted, opening the door and slamming it as he got out, only to stare straight into your eyes which were waiting for him in front of the door.

"i can't ever forgive you for what you did, yohei." and those were the last words yohei heard from you in a very long time.