Chapter 39

Charlotte's POV

I walk out the prison with my thoughts louder than ever, I don't even know how to find Nick. I don't know my way around New York, they drove me around all the time and after a while I stopped paying attention to the outside, when I wanted to escape I'd watched out the window with every tree that passed and every corner we turned, I eventually just stopped...my attention slowly turned to study Magic and then deep down I didn't want to leave. Finding Nick is going to be hard and being on the run is going to make it ten times harder, I wont be allowed to contact my mother again which will leave her worried. 

I glance up from my treading feet and see Harper sitting on the hood of our rental car and Ava standing in front talking to her as the sun beams on their skin but the cool breeze hits my face. It's slowly turning to winter and I won't get to enjoy it. The dark nights, Halloween, bonfire night which is something I love, watching the fireworks light up the dark cold sky and Christmas, I probably wont get to enjoy any of those things which I use to enjoy back home. 

Harper spots me walking towards them in this empty parking lot, not entirely empty. There is a few parked cars but we're the only life in the parking lot. Ava turns around, both of them waiting for me to approach but they're not going to like what I have to say. I hear a loud row of cars edging towards the entrance, I glance and when I do, a man appears from the passenger window and then a shine catches my eye as he pulls it from the window, a gun. He has a gun. "Get in the car!", I shout and run towards the rental car. Ava and Harper spring to life and get in the car as soon as they possible could, i don't think I've seen them move that fast since P.E which leads me to believe that they followed my gaze to the line of black cars driving at a speed which makes me think I won't make it to the car but my adrenaline kicks in and I reach the car as they roar through the closed gates. "DRIVE", I shout. Harper turns the ignition and presses her foot down on the gas peddle. 

I fall back on the seats as she drives like a crazy person, "What the fuck, Charlotte!?", Ava yells in distress. 

Then I hear the loud gun shots go off, the back window shatters and we all duck down. "What did you do?", Ava cries.

"I didn't do anything!", I scream back. I'm going to die before even reaching Nick and the worst part is that I dragged Ava and Harper into this. 

Harper drives into a grass field gunning for the forest ahead, I have no idea how she will drive through the forest and miss the trees cause they are everywhere. "Harper", I say staring as the trees become closer, "Harper!", I shout as the car bounces up and fits between two large trees, the car moves from side to side and bullets continue to hit the car. I glance up behind the back seat to look out the back window, the row of cars entering the forest with us, one of them hits a tree and the gunner crashes through the windshield. "Harper", I say in fear as that could happen to us, we didn't have time to fasten our seatbelts. 

The black cars now down to seven but it doesn't stop them from swaying in and out the trees like Harper is doing. She's a pro, she's always been good at driving so I don't know if it's her skillset or the fact adrenaline is coursing through her veins. Another black car hits a tree and blocking the way for another car. Down to five cars but they're not stopping there. "Hold on", Harper says and Ava looks at her like she's crazy. "Seatbelts now!", she shouts and we quickly follow her demand. 

She glances over to Ava holding a look of fear, Ava shoots her the same look as I sit in the back seat terrified knowing I got them into this situation. "Hold on", Harper takes a deep breath, I'm not entirety sure what she's about to do but gunfire continues to hit the back of the rental car... how are we meant to explain the bullet holes when we return it, that is if we're still alive.

The car takes a sharp left as we bounce out of the woods, we're no longer bumping up and down and rocking side to side, we're now on a smooth road. I glance behind to see two more cars totalled, they must've crashed into each other trying to follow Harper sharp turn. Three cars appear from the woods, "Come on!", I grunt out. 

"They're not stopping", Ava sighs in fear. She continues to look at the back window before her eyes meet mine. "What did you do?", she ask.

"I'll explain when they're off our tail but I'm so sorry I got you guys into this", I say back with much sorrow. 

"Don't do that", Harper says. "We wanted to come and we're going to get out of this together", my best friend says as she glances at me through the rear view mirror, I stare at Ava, my other best friend thinking she doesn't feel the same way but she smiles with a nod which gives me reassurance. 

I glance behind to see the three cars get in formation, they line up beside each other and begin to speed up, "Harper, you need to drive faster"

"We need to run them off the road or lose them", Ava says which surprises me, she was terrified two seconds ago.

They become closer and closer, "Harper", I call out. She hasn't said anything back so I don't know if she's thinking about what to do next or just concentrating on her driving. 

"Harper, do something!", Ava shouts as the car in the middle bounces off the back bumper. It's tinted windows so I can't see a thing. I don't even know where to tell her to drive to because I'm lost. My mind rattles trying to remember the name of Magic's nightclub, that is the only place I know where to look and might be easy to find Nick.

The two cars move up beside our car, I glance to the right and see the back window begin to roll down. A smile on the mans face appears and he pulls out what looks like an MP5. "Harper!", I scream. 

She sways to the side as Ava screams out, it hits the car off the road and into a tree. "It worked", she laughs in relief. "Harper, I hate to break it to you but there is another car on our left", I say and watch as the window begins to roll down. She slams into the side of the car but he seems to have better control than the other guy. He sways into us and Harper sways off to the other side almost inching towards the trees, she manages to control and ram him back, I'm scared in case she spins herself out but she doesn't. He runs him off the road and into the wooded area, the gravel and broken branches cause his wheels to give in and with the speed he's going the car spins out and hits the tree, the car bends around the tree. Down to one car and he seems to know what he's doing as he hits Harper's back wheel, the second time he does this it causes the car to spin, Ava and Harper scream as I slam my eyes shut. This is it, this is how I'm going to die... "Fuck!", I hear Ava curse before my head goes blank and I see absolutely nothing but darkness. 

_______________________

I hope everyone is doing well and I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Unfortunately I will be bringing this story to an end but in the next few chapters, maybe. I hope you've enjoyed the story so far and I'm sorry It has taken so long to complete but life gets in the way and I'm ready to move onto another book which is underway. 

Please vote, comment and follow😊

Don't be a silent reader❤

Love you all💕