Chapter 40

Magic's POV

I stare into the white wall ahead,  my mind filled with so much worry yet my mind seems blank. After Charlotte came we all got put back into our cells for the night because some fight broke out. It's irritating because I wanted to call Nick but they refuse to let me use the phone, I'm praying Charlotte found Nick without hassle but yet again...she doesn't know New York and probably doesn't know where to look. I should've told the warden to fuck off and said every bit of information to Charlotte that I could, if i did all that and acted like a dick then I'd probably be in here longer...hell, I think they want to keep me longer with the amount of crimes I committed.

"Hey man, can I sit there to write a letter to my wife?", my annoying cellmate asks. I wish I was celled up with Martin cause at least I know the cunt.

I sigh and stand up, I'm much taller than he is. My body dominates his, he's maybe around 5ft 3 but his weight is much more than mine. I can tell he hasn't just got a wife but kids too, he seems sensitive like he shouldn't even be in here yet apparently he was caught with drugs but I think it could be more than that cause it's always the quiet ones you need to watch out for and since his wife hasn't written him back yet, must be pretty bad what he did...what I did was pretty bad but I did it all more than once so I know whose the good guy in this cell.

I jump on the top bunk and watch as the short man write, he doesn't even take a break to look up or anything. "Psst", I hear at the cell steel bars. I glance and it's Marin.

"What are you doing out?", I ask.

"I got a job", his head flicks towards the trolly of books. "Want a book?" He asks looking around.

I jump down and stand by the cell bars to get closer to him, "Have you heard anything?" I question him immediately.

He shakes his head and looks through the books as if he's being watched and I've asked for a certain book. "Not a word...well maybe one but I don't know if it's true"

"I may be behind these bars but I can still grab you, so spill it Martin", my voice low.

"Alright", he glances around. "Cell block A heard some shooting outside just after you came back from visits"

My head twists, "Shootings?"

"Yeah, that's all I know cause not long after we all got locked up after that boy got stabbed", wasn't aware the fight was that serious but whatever.

"And these shootings...you don't know if it's true?"

"It was passed through a lot of people so could be shit, you know how this place is", his fingers continue to flick through the books as his shoulders shrug. 

"Martin...", My voice stern, "Find out the truth", the words so serious had his fingers stop and he freezes in his place.

"Yup", he manages to get out before grabbing a random book and handing it to me through the cell bars. I snatch it off his hands but ensure he can't let go by grasping his hand tight, his fingers crushing between my hand and the book. 

His scared eyes look into mine and he nods, I let his hand go and take the book. He wheels the bookcase away, I turn to my cell mate staring towards me in the chair. "What?", I narrow my brows. He shakes his head looking away in fear.

I jump up onto the top bunk and look at the book in my hand, I scoff reading the title, 'Lost wife' I throw it to the floor and kick my legs up, I have nothing else to do but stare at the ceiling and I'm praying that the shootings were a rumour. 

I hear a blast go off, I feel the bed shake and I sit up in confusion, "Earthquake", my cellmate shouts, I watch as he crawls under the table. What a fucking idiot.