jealousy

Later that night, me and the band played edge of great in Julies backyard. A small crowd had gathered, and I tried to concentrate on my instrument and the crowd, but as Julie sang with Luke, my heart ached, wishing I was Julie. I thought back to that afternoon, when it was just me and the boys. The way Luke had looked at me, and how shell shocked I had been. I hit the wrong chord on my guitar and I was thrown back to the present. I repositioned my guitar, but my concentration was out of whack. I kept playing, my focus gone, struggling to remember the tune.

"Oh god, this is bad." I muttered once we finished. The crowd cheered then faded to gasps of shock, signalling that we were now unseen.

"What's bad?" Luke asked. I panicked.

"Oh, I just... Feel bad for playing the wrong note, I stuffed up the song." I lied.

"Oh, I didn't even notice, don't worry, we sounded great out there!" he shrugged, turning and standing next to Julie, who was thanking the crowd. I inched backwards, only to find Alex blocking my way.

"are you ok?" he asked. I look back at Luke and Julie, then nodded, not meeting his eyes. 

"yeah, all good." Alex followed my gaze.

"it's Julie, isn't it?" my face reddened, mortified that I'd been to obvious. "you like her right?" 

"uh... yes! yes I'm jealous of Luke cause I like Julie." I jumped at the idea, grateful.

"well, I sure hope you get over her soon." Alex warned.

"why?" I asked, keeping up the act.

"because, he may claim that he has chemistry with everyone he sings with, but that's all fake. it stays in the song, never anything more, but with Julie? that's real, not some forced acting. Julie is gonna be off limits."

"but-"

"hey," he interrupted, grabbing my shoulders, shaking them with each word. "you. need. to. get. over her."

"yeah, I know." I sighed, secretly implying Luke. the crowd had begun to disperse and Alex walked off to move his drums back to the studio, leaving me feeling worse than I did before...