...but not really

The darkness erupted with the sound of Julie's voice. Her and her piano, standing alone on the stage. That's when I realised. I can hear her! I'm not dead! Well, dead dead. I needed to get on stage and join her. The sound of drums joined in the song, and I was driven more to get there. If Alex could get there, so could I. My body felt numb, but I focused on making my bass guitar appear. The next thing I knew, I was standing onstage with Alex and Julie, playing stand tall. The crowd erupted in cheers, and I smiled. I was back. Julie looked to the other side of the stage in concern. I followed her gaze. Luke was flickering in and out of sight, struggling to come back. Luckily, he fully appeared just in time for his part of the song. We finished the song, stood, and bowed down to the crowd. We waited for something to happen, for us to cross over, but nothing happened. All of us looked at Julie, who was smiling from ear to ear, then back to each other. A silent agreement crossed between us. We disappeared from the Orpheum stage, moving to the studio.

"Did we beat the curse?" Luke asked. His question got answered as the biggest jolt we had ever felt hit us. We stumbled for a minute.

"We have to go somewhere else; Julie will come down here when she gets back."

"No, she won't, she thinks we're gone, we just have to hide out here until- "he didn't want to finish. He still didn't look at me, and I wanted to know why.

"Luke..." I began. "We nearly disappeared, I need to know why you are angry at me, and don't say it's nothing cause I know something is up."

"don't play dumb Reggie, Alex told me!" I glared at him.

"Alex, did you actually? I trusted you not to!"

"I didn't!" he shot back.

"don't lie to get out of trouble! You told me he liked Julie!"

"I- wait, wait, WHAT??" I shook my head, confused. "No, I don't."

"Oh my god! Reggie! As soon as he told me I noticed. You do like her; you always glare and get upset when I hang out with her! I thought you were my friend, but friends don't develop crushes on their friends' love interests!" he ranted.

"Luke, STOP. I don't like her! I LIKE YOU!" I blurted.

END OF BOOK 1