thoughts

sorry, this will be a really long chapter, I want to put all the flashbacks into one chapter. I'll be doing it again in a later chapter as well, and that will be even longer, sorry.

I sat on a plastic chair, alongside a few other kids in my music class. I didnt know any of them, I was the outcast of the school, known as the dumb blonde. I would always argue that I had naturally dark hair, and that what they were saying made no sense, but they would just laugh at me. the door of the music class opened, and the principal walked in, a boy walking in behind him. the boy was around my age, 15-ish, with brown hair and hazel eyes. the principal spoke to the music teacher, then left. 

"class, this is Luke Patterson," the teacher introduced. she looked at me. "Reggie, can you be Luke's buddy?" I nodded, the boy staring at me. not creepily, but intrigued, and I could already feel the connection. the boy walked over, awkwardly sitting next to me.

"hey, I'm Reggie." I began. he nodded.

"Luke." he replied.

"soo... you play electric?" I asked, gesturing at his electric guitar slung across his shoulder.

"yeah, and... he looked at my instrument. "bass?"

"yep."

"what genre?"

"rock." I replied.

"me too!" he exclaimed. "well, obviously, being an electric guitar." he sighed. "sorry, just... overwhelmed."

"don't worry, being at a new school is hard, you'll be fine."

"coming!" I called, running downstairs. the person at the door didn't stop. I opened it to see Luke, a  backpack slung across his back, his guitar sticking out.

"what the hell? it's the middle of the night!" I asked. Luke stood there, not looking me in the eyes. it took me a moment to realise he was crying. I stepped outside, closing the door behind me.

"what's wrong?" I asked.

"I told my mum about the band. she told me I couldn't join a band. we argued about it, and she told me I wasn't allowed to hang with you guys anymore, so I- I ran away." he managed. "can I stay with you for a couple of nights, until I organise a better place to stay?"

"uhh..." I didnt want him finding out.

"please?"

"I mean- yeah of course! I'd be a horrible friend to say no." I walked him upstairs.

"we, uhh, have to share a bed, is that okay?"

"yeah, I'm fine wi-" he stopped, the sound of yelling erupting from my parents room.

"what's going on?" he asked.

"it's nothing, just a little argument." I mumbled. something crashed, and we both jumped. I looked at my feet.

"reg, that's not a little argument, are you're parents-"

"yes, they're having issues, but it's fi-"

"no it's not! don't say that! I could tell something was up earlier this year, but I thought you were just tired or something. why didnt you tell me?"

"I don't know, I just... I was embarrassed." Luke walked over, hugging me. 

"this isn't supposed to be about me! its about you! you need me to be there for you, not the other way arou-" I cried, feeling bad for making it about me. he cut me off.

"Reggie, don't say that, you need the help too!" he scolded.

"but-"

"I don't wanna talk about it right now anyway."

"are you sure?"

"yeah. talk to me. how long has this been going on? how bad is it? can I help?" he asked.