Chapter 1

Abby's POV

"I can't believe you are ditching us for a whole 6 weeks." Christy whines. She is my best friend in the whole world. She is so beautiful with her Brown skin and Brown hair in braids. She has the most beautiful dark green eyes. She makes me laugh and I love her like she was my sister.

"I am not ditching you. I haven't seen my family in almost two years. I need a break before we head to Fiji." I can't believe it's been six years since I graduated from nursing school and decided to volunteer overseas as a nurse.

My little sister Shai and my baby brother tanner didn't understand why I was leaving but my mom knew. She knew everything. I haven't spoken about it since I left and I hope I never have to speak about it ever again. The nightmares have not left me but I know one day they will just be a memory like the whole horrible incident.

"I am going to miss you! Its not going to be the same without you." I grab her and pull her into a hug.

"I will see you in six weeks in Fiji. I have to go Connor is waiting on me. I love you and I will be back before you know it."

As I walk towards where we park the vehicles I see Connor leaning against one of the old pick up trucks. He looks so handsome with his khaki shirt and pants. And as always he is wearing his baseball hat.

Dr. Connor Davis. He came to us almost three years now. He was fresh out of Harvard medical school and decided to piss off his rich family and volunteer with us. They were not happy at first but I think they are accepting of it now. He is doing so much for the people here in Kenya.

There are only 15 of us in our group so we are very tight. We are like one big dysfunctional family. We love, we laugh and we fight. But most of all is the love. I wouldn't trade anybody in our group for anything. When I started out our group wasn't this tight. We had some people that just weren't cut out for this work. And some were but not for long term. There is only eight of us original volunteers but the seven others that have come as replacements have really added to the group.

"Hey beautiful. You ready to go?"

"All set. Thank you Connor for volunteering to drive me. I know it's not a fun drive." the nearest airport is over a hour way and after the rain we got for the last three days I know the roads will be worse then normal.

"I wouldn't trust anybody else to take you. And I want to spend as much time with you as I can before you leave."

Connor has been very flirty and touchy the last three or four months. I dont know what has gotten into him but Christy thinks he has feelings for me. I joke and play around with him but I could never have seen him in a romantic way. After everything that has happened I couldn't imagine thinking of any man in a romantic way.

Connor opens the door to the truck for me. I slide into the seat and put my seat belt on as he runs around to the other side and gets behind the wheel.

"It's nice to see that living in the wild has not made you lose your manners."

He laughs at me. We all are always joking about becoming wild and not being able to be around decent society.

"So are you excited? What are your plans while you are in the states?"

"My sister is starring in a new movie so I am going to spend four weeks with her in Chicago then she has a break and we will spend the last two weeks in our hometown with our mom and brother."

I am so excited to spend time with Shai. I haven't seen her in almost two years and that was for only ten days when our grandmother had died.

She will have to work while I am there but I am looking forward to exploring Chicago. Then there is meeting her boyfriend. The way she has described Theo I expect him to be able to walk on water.

"What are you most excited to enjoy when you get home? I know I would kill for a mountain dew."

"I can't wait to have a Pepsi and a 3 musketeers bar. Oh and I have to have a big Mac and strawberry shake."

"I am really going to miss you." he looks at me with eyes filled with sadness.

"I will be back before you know it. I will meet you guys in Fiji. Just make sure you keep James out of trouble. And double check behind Steve that he doesn't leave anything behind."

I can see him start to laugh. "Remember that time James decided to pants Christy when she was yelling at Mike for not restocking the examination room after his shift?"

"Oh I remember! Hard to yell at somebody when your pants are at your ankles! And of course Mike couldn't take her seriously when she is standing there in her underwear. Thank goodness she wasn't wearing a thong that day!"

That is how we spent the rest of the ride talking about all the fun times we have had in Kenya. The ride is bumpy but the scenery is beautiful and the story telling is fun. Before I even knew it we had arrived.

Connor grabs my suitcases out of the back while I grab my carry on.

"You have your ticket? You have your passport? You have my number in case of an emergency?"

"Yes dad. I have it all." I can't help but laugh at how worried he is. It does feel nice having someone care about me.

"Hey Connor can I borrow your phone to call my sister real quick?"

"You want to use a cell phone? I didn't think you have ever used a cell phone."

"Nope I have never used a cell phone but I need to double check with my sister on the time of my arrival plus that way you will have her phone number in case of an emergency."

"I was just teasing you. Of course you can use my cell phone. Just hit this button right here and the number pad comes up. Type in her number and then push this green button and it will call her."

It does seem weird to hold this phone. I dial the number like Connor showed me and it started ringing.

"Hello" I can hear the laughter in Shai's voice. She is always happy.

"Hi! It's your long lost sister."

"Abby! I miss you. I can't wait to see you. What time will you be here? Why can't you be here now?" I can hear the excitement in her voice like she is about to bust. Like a young child on Christmas morning.

"I will be there about 4 your time tomorrow. I can't wait to see you too."

"Theo and I will be there tomorrow. Don't forget we are going to pick you up outside the airport so we don't have to deal with the paprazi. We will be in a black jeep wrangler."

"Okay. Can't wait to see you. Love you!"

"Love you too"

"Thank you Connor for everything. I guess I better go so I can be checked in on time."

"Be careful and have fun. I want to hear all about it when you get back."
He grabs me into a big bear hug and I can't help but notice he smells like the sun and a light smell of cologne.

As I walk away with my luggage I hear him yell goodbye again.

#####

I am just glad everything went smoothly with getting checked in. Now I am just sitting in my seat waiting to start our seventeen hour flight back to the states. Luckily I am tired so I can sleep a lot of flight away.