Prologue

Cherry strolled around her house. She jumped up onto a couch and settled down comfortably on the soft cushion. She was full, and her day had been quite exciting. She had seen the inside of one of the clan camps, and this was a big upgrade from how far she had normally gotten. She was just dozing off, when a shriek woke her up.

One of the kids had set something ablaze. Cherry had no idea why, but she began yowling to warn the parents. The kid's parents came running down the stairs, both of them screaming at the child. Cherry was looking around, scared. The fire was starting to spread past the metal box in which it had started. The humans began running frantically around, trying to control the fire. She had no idea how it helped, but she felt that she could do nothing to help, due to her small size.

Cherry tried to leave, but was blocked off by a flame jumping in front of her, obstructing her path out of the house. She just barely managed to stop it from engulfing her. She saw her humans jump out the window, but it was too high for her to reach.

She yowled, terror spreading throughout her body like the fire spreading throughout the house.

She tried to make an escape plan, but she realized there was no way out that she could access. The flames hopped up and down, lunging at Cherry with their burning heat. She turned around to look once more for an exit, but was attacked by a flame, and this time, it penetrated her eye.

She screeched, pain searing half of her face. She suddenly couldn't see through her left eye, and she thought she would die. She curled up into a tight ball, preparing to be captured by the orange, burning fire.

Just then, a piece of the house fell down. A plank of wood making up the wall came crumbling down, reduced to nothing but ashes.

Cherry, still stunned, leaped through the hungry flames to her newly made exit. She lunged out of the house, landing on the lush grass outside of her burning prison.

She realized her entire neighborhood had caught on fire, and humans were running around every which way, trying desperately to escape the bursting flames.

Cherry was terrified, and ran away from all the noise, into the forest, where it was quiet.